MB's Customs: Genesis - Harlequin

Rush Tool Yes Prog Close to the Edge The Mars Volta One Day as a Lion Slint King Crimson Genesis

• Please log in to reply
197 replies to this topic

#181 MrBurpler

MrBurpler
  • 192 posts

Posted March 24, 2020 - 04:56 AM

The King Crimson Collection Pt. 3/4 The "rest" of Red (side 1), and New Wave KC

IeUQs9k.jpg

http://customscreato...en-angel-r25822

This song has its origins all the way back in 1972 when Jamie Muir was still in the band. The riffs originating from improv back at that time, it wasn't until 2 years later when they were actually used in a proper song. Other fun tidbits are the 13/8 section in "Starless" used to be in "Fracture". This makes the King Crimson boxsets from this era so fascinating because you get hear different parts of the song in different contexts. According to wikipedia this is also the last King Crimson recording to feature Robert Fripp on acoustic guitar, and wasn't played live until 2017.

yOIbXGT.jpg

http://customscreato...ightmare-r25821

RED nightmare. The story of a bad dream essentially. With the lyrics describing a terrible flight with the thought of a possible plane crash, when the worst comes our character wakes up to find that he had just fallen asleep on the greyhound bus. What's also interesting about this song is that the lyrics were not written with aid from Richard Palmer-James - a founding member of Supertramp. In fact this is the only King Crimson song from the "Wetton-era" to not have a Palmer-James credit for the lyrics (including "Doctor Diamond, which King Crimson never did record in the studio).

cIkbH1E.jpg

http://customscreato...by-frame-r25820

A killer tune of the record, "Frame by Frame" features one of the coolest used of two guitar i have ever heard. Ok so the guitar part is 7/8 leading into - and including - the verses. However instead of just playing straight 7/8 the whole time Robert Fripp decided, "hey, what if every other bar i drop a note so I'm essentially playing on bar of 7/8, then a bar of 6/8, or 13/8" So there would be on guitar part playing in 7/8, and the other playing in 13/8. And they did. And it's awesome. And it is such a simple thing to do however it creates such, synchronized dysfunction and it makes it that much more satisfying when the two guitar parts line up again. this technique is littered throughout the whole album, and I think it's amazing. This song (and record) is easily one of my favorite guitar tracks to listen to (not to mention Bill Bruford, and Tony Levin who kill it in the rhythm section).

rPHBb5l.jpg

http://customscreato...scipline-r25819

Arpeggios, Arpeggios for days. This song is crazy convoluted mess of time signatures, but because good ol' Billy kept a 4/4 pulse we never know. That isn't to suggest that he's actually playing in 4/4 no no, he's actually playing in 17/16, with a 4/4 bass drum pattern to "give it a dance feel" (and he's kinda right). What are the other guys doing? playing anything from 5/8 to 7/8 dropping a note every other bar so they go out of sync but keep playing until they sync up again, ya know- simple stuff. Not only does mess of signatures and arpeggios insanely hard to play, but it also gives the song a sort of hypnotic feel, like you're in a trance. Just watch out for that ending, because it truly will "snap you out of the trance".

Venues for the "Red" tracks are provided by AJFOne23.

Customs Thread, Customs Song DBWIP Thread, C3U Profile, MGMT WIP Thread

If you see "MrBurpler" anywhere on the internet there is a 99% chance that it's me.

#182 MrBurpler

MrBurpler
  • 192 posts

Posted April 17, 2020 - 04:00 AM

Black Sabbath - N.I.B

i2i3a8M.jpg

http://customscreato...-version-r26013

"OH YEAH!"

Do I need to do a write-up for this track? You all know it, it's a classic at this point. I do wanna say how straight up blues this tracks feels, and it kinda reminds me of Led Zepplin or something (but heavier).

This custom does feature the bass solo at the beginning of the track, and the guitar solo is double tracked, so the chart follows the solo that you can "hear the best".

The "Original Version" amendment does not appear in-game.

Venues provided by: AJFOne23

If you see "MrBurpler" anywhere on the internet there is a 99% chance that it's me.

#183 MrPrezident

MrPrezident

C3U Moderator

• 1,107 posts

Posted April 17, 2020 - 02:16 PM

Thanks Mr B
hope you're doing well :)

FORUM THREAD  /  MY CUSTOMS -  featuring all the best animal customs:  A Flock of Seagulls, Eagles of Death Metal, Sheepdogs, Turtles, Mouse Rat and Wolfmother.   

#184 MrBurpler

MrBurpler
  • 192 posts

Posted April 23, 2020 - 06:38 PM

I'm doing good! Always got stuff to work on!

#185 MrBurpler

MrBurpler
  • 192 posts

Posted May 31, 2020 - 04:57 PM

The King Crimson Collection Pt. 5 "Starless"

0Ywug1d.jpg

http://customscreato...starless-r26417

Starless (And Bible Black)

One of the BEST King Crimson songs ever composed, and it has a very fascinating story.

This song was initially supposed to show up on their previous album "Starless And Bible Black" But apparently Robert Fripp and Bill Bruford didn't like the tune that much, so they ended up calling one of their improv pieces that for the record. They would perform the song in early 1974 with various lyrical changes and such, until finally when the "Red" sessions came about all the members came to a consensus.

The early live versions of the song actually have David Cross playing the lead melody on violin with Fripp playing the mellotron for that section. There was no saxophone, and the guitar part didn't come in until the buildup section after the verses. The saxophone solo that's in the studio version was also performed on the violin during those shows. The 13/8 section in the latter half of the song was actually written/performed even earlier with some early versions of "Fracture" having that same 13/8 section in it.

It's a fascinating story about this song, It's kind of crazy to think of a King Crimson WITHOUT this in their repertoire, but that seemed to have been a real possibility. It's a great example of tension and release. That build up is so subtle yet near the end it's so satisfying. The reincorporation of the main melody at the end of the song just ties it all into a perfect little 12 minute bow. It's on of the few songs where 12 minutes feels like 2. It's a King Crimson classic, and it's now finally a full band custom!

Special thanks to AJFOne23 for the glorious venue

And to NSW1-6 for helping me with the guitar and bass parts

#186 MrBurpler

MrBurpler
  • 192 posts

Posted June 20, 2020 - 04:03 AM

Big update for "Jimmy" by Tool

Update: (06-19-2020)
-New guitar chart
-New bass chart
-Drum chart fixes
-Venue edits (camera cuts)

#187 MrBurpler

MrBurpler
  • 192 posts

Posted July 1, 2020 - 04:26 AM

Rush and Robbie Robertson! A Canadian 2-fer to Celebrate Canada Day! EH?!?

Happy Canada Day everyone! And to celebrate, I wanted to share two customs from our boys up north here! I really enjoy these songs (for very different reasons) and I hope you do too! So let's get started!

JlEk6KT.jpg

http://customscreato...zy-river-r26653

Famous for being a member of "The Band", this song is one of the more well-known from his solo career.

If I had to describe this song in one word, the word I would use is "sexy", and while I'm not sure if I can fully explain myself- let me try.

I guess a good place to start with his voice, Robbie Robertson doesn't do that much actual singing on this track as all the verses are just him talking. Apparently they tried to have him sing the verses but it didn't turn out too good, lucky for us- the sing is better for it! His voice super smooth during the chorus and the bridge yet during the verses is sounds a bit more harsh, like it has a bit more edge to it. And the lyrical content describes this, verbal-dance i'll call it, between him and this woman in the song. I can't quite put my finger on it, and I haven't dived deep into the meaning behind the lyrics, but there does seem to be some, "sexual tension" lets say.

And this of course is supported by the instrumentation, let's start with the drums. the use of hit-hat and ride bell, and putting the beat accents not only on the 8th notes (as supposed to the 2 and 4 like in a typical rock/pop song), not all the accents are on the snare. In fact there's a rotation of snare, low-tom, hi-tom. It's very creative drumming which helps to build this tension without it getting in the way on the song.

Rounding out the rhythm section is the bass part played by Tony Levin (King Crimson fans might recognize that name). His bass playing is just super smooth, not flashy, it just "slides" right into place exactly where it needs to be, with little flourishes to keep it interesting.

Finally there's the keyboard part which is mainly a dotted 1/4 note pattern. The dotted pattern works because it makes the song feel a lot slower then it actual is, letting you hear the other instruments and giving it a relaxed feeling.

This song -while not being too challenging- is fun on all instruments, and a song I'm little surprised took so long to be made.

y7oUBly.jpg

http://customscreato...inal-mix-r26654

Arguably the most cathartic Rush song... at least in relation to Neil Peart, the song is about that feeling of processing difficult and troubling emotions- Neil described is best with an analogy that went something like:

"When a baby is restless you rock it too sleep, you take it for a drive to calm the baby down"

It's like the adult version of that. Neil describes it better then I could (I mean he did write the lyrics) and the documentary "Beyond the Lighted Stage" goes into more detail about that aspect of his life. I guess I'll leave it there.

As with many songs off Vapor Trails, They only played it on the Vapor Trails tour, which is a shame, I really like a lot of those songs from Vapor Trails. Luckily for their R40 Tour they brought back some songs and even played "How It Is"- a song never before played live. Sadly, Ghost Rider wasn't included, but at least it made it on Rush In Rio!

I want to thank ejthedj for providing me the RPP for the remixed version, which made charting this a whole lot easier! Thank you!

The "Original Mix" amendment doesn't appear in-game

That's all for now! Have a great Canada Day eh! Enjoy your Molson Canadian while grilling up some burgers and hot dogs! (and playing these customs of course!) there's plently more down the pipe, with King Crimson, Rush updates, Genesis and ELP in the future!

#188 FujiSkunk

FujiSkunk
  • 1,033 posts

Posted July 2, 2020 - 02:46 AM

Great Robbie Robertson song!  Thank you!

#189 MrBurpler

MrBurpler
  • 192 posts

Posted July 4, 2020 - 02:44 AM

Great Robbie Robertson song!  Thank you!

Aha! It's the only solo song I know, but I felt it should have been in Rock Band for a while now!

Also I have recently discovered how to make chart previews, so I'll be updating the customs page with that (I'm not gonna mark em as updated, but keep an eye on the thread to see when previews get added.

First up are the Canada Day customs:

* Ghost Rider

* Somewhere Down The Crazy River

#190 MrBurpler

MrBurpler
  • 192 posts

Posted July 4, 2020 - 04:10 PM

Chart previews added for:

Tool - "Jimmy"

Black Sabbath - "N.I.B. (Original Version)"

The Mars Volta - "Tetragrammaton"

King Crimson - "Doctor Diamond"

Genesis - "Harold the Barrel"

Procol Harum - "Conquistador (Live)"

#191 MrBurpler

MrBurpler
  • 192 posts

Posted July 4, 2020 - 11:40 PM

Yes - The Gates of Delirium

Yes - Sound Chaser

Yes - To Be Over

#192 MrBurpler

MrBurpler
  • 192 posts

Posted July 5, 2020 - 09:18 PM

Alvvays - "Adult Diversion"

King Crimson - "Frame by Frame"

King Crimson - "Discipline"

#193 MrBurpler

MrBurpler
  • 192 posts

Posted July 20, 2020 - 06:04 AM

YltOVCx.jpg

http://customscreato...et-touch-r26990

Ooo, this song rocks, like, really rocks. This might be the heaviest song that Rush has made since... Bastille Day? This song proved that even in 2002, about 26 years after their first record, they hadn't lost their edge.

A very special thanks to ejthedj for providing me the Remix rpp which made creating this custom A LOT easier!

YgUn5v7.jpg

http://customscreato...rthshine-r26989

One of the hit singles from the Vapor Trails album. It was played live until only the R30 tour, sadly being dropped and never made a return to stage.

A very special thanks to DoNotPassGo for providing me the Remix rpp which made creating this custom A LOT easier!

k46NZgC.jpg

http://customscreato...-of-fear-r26988

Pt. of the "Fear" trilogy ;)

The lyrical content focus on the reaction that someone has when faced within a moment of danger, and the fight or flight response. It's a nice addition to the "Fear" collection, and also fits the theme of the record really well.

A very special thanks to ejthedj for providing me the Remix rpp which made creating this custom A LOT easier!

#194 MrBurpler

MrBurpler
  • 192 posts

Posted July 21, 2020 - 06:35 AM

A bonus track I should have added to the triple pack from the other day, the second track off of Vapor Trails....

Tq2bjm9.jpg

NiayJjs.jpg

Original Mix:

http://customscreato...original-r27000

Remix:

http://customscreato...nlimited-r27001

A bonus track to the Rush-Triple-Threat pack, This is the second song off their first album of the 21st century, and like the rest of this album it's really good. Highlights of this song are defiantly the bridge, where Geddy slap-dat-bass like it owes him money! He rocks it so hard I figured it deserved a solo marker, and there is a guitar solo that gets unearthed for the remix version!

#195 Ultimate_MANG0

Ultimate_MANG0
  • 859 posts

Posted July 21, 2020 - 08:00 AM

How much Rush is left till it's all been charted? ;)

kFntCK9.jpg

#196 MrBurpler

MrBurpler
  • 192 posts

Posted July 29, 2020 - 04:20 AM

2O4paSC.jpg

http://customscreato...cat-food-r27060

The only pop hit that King Crimson ever had, "Cat Food" still features odd times and has a more jazzy feel to it. One of the members of the band even commented how difficult it was for people to try and "dance" to it (the verse has a bar of 3/8 thrown in there). The keyboard part is absolutely absurd and is deffinatly the standout in terms of difficulty. Drums and guitar are challenging and while the bass part might be the easiest, it is still fun to play.

Venue for the following custom provided by:
AJFOne23

tDrpEOr.jpg

http://customscreato...fracture-r27061

The impossible guitar song. In a recent(ish) blog post Robert Fripp describes his experience relearning the song for the latest incarnation of King Crimson, and describes at "impossible to play". And it's hard not to agree; the amount of precision that is required to play the middle section (and at that tempo) is something I couldn't imagine. Bill Bruford doesn't disappoint with the drum part, creating something challenging and fun to play. Bass and keys are a bit easier, but are also fun instruments to play with this song.

Bass, Keys, Venue:
AJFOne23

#197 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,269 posts

Posted July 29, 2020 - 04:55 AM

beyond excited to see this 2fer finally drop  :rock:

#198 MrBurpler

MrBurpler
  • 192 posts

Posted August 5, 2020 - 04:02 AM

UhOQSzn.jpg

http://customscreato...arlequin-r27115

A simple cute Genesis tune that rounds out the whole record. Featuring duet vocals with Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins, the song features three separate guitar tracks, plus some overdubs. I did my best to cover the various guitar and overdubs to just three parts. The bass is playing a guitar here as a result, and the keys fill in the other guitars and the overdubs.

This song isn't the most memorable, or that challenging, but it completes the album now, but I now we can say that the whole Nursery Cryme is playable in full band! So enjoy!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Rush, Tool, Yes, Prog, Close to the Edge, The Mars Volta, One Day as a Lion, Slint, King Crimson, Genesis

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users