Rok Drummer v1.5.0 [9/12/15] - Play your game drums on PC!

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 TrojanNemo

TrojanNemo

The Programmer

• 4,614 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 07:02 AM

Posted Image

WHAT IS IT?
A silly little program to turn your Xbox 360 game drums into a sort of e-kit that can be played on your PC. At this point, most Xbox 360 drums or e-kits connected via the MPA are supported, as well as some PS3 kits. Wii support may or may not be added later, but no promises.

See the included Help documentation for the list of features included and how to use them.

FEATURES / CHANGE LOG
Updated change log with latest features and changes can be found here:
Rok Drummer v1.5.0 - Features & Changes

DOWNLOAD & INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
Extract these files to any folder and run the executable. INSTALLING IN PROGRAM FILES IS NOT RECOMMENDED.
Rok Drummer v1.5.0 - WinRAR archive

EXTRA DRUM KITS
To use these, just extract them into the /kits/ folder and you will be able to use them with Rok Drummer.
Download additional kits

YOUTUBE VIDEO
Check it out

REQUIREMENTS
Microsoft .NET 4
http://www.microsoft... ... x?id=17851

Xbox 360 Controller for Windows drives (already included with Windows 8 and up)
Wireless - https://www.microsof... ... or-windows
Wired - https://www.microsof... ... or-windows

This was done as a little proof of concept and it's not something I plan to devote much more time to, so enjoy it if you can - but don't expect too much from it!

Note that most of the GUI is customizable and new sounds can be added easily. Feel free to share anything you make that you think others might enjoy (i.e. nicer images, more or better drum sounds, etc).

Enjoy :)

#2 Deadly Robots

Deadly Robots
  • 139 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 07:53 AM

Are we talking about an application that lets you play the drum track on a Rock Band song/custom on the PC? Because if so, I'm into that.

Wouldn't mind something similar for the guitar/bass too, while we're on the subject, but then I worry we're veering into "making an unofficial Rock Band game for PC that can play Rock Band tracks", which is potentially iffy, legally-speaking.
[PortsCenter] - A webseries about change. And video games.

#3 TrojanNemo

TrojanNemo

The Programmer

• 4,614 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 02:00 PM

Are we talking about an application that lets you play the drum track on a Rock Band song/custom on the PC? Because if so, I'm into that.

Well, the initial idea was to satisfy the question/request on Reddit...it lets you use your Rock Band drumset on PC as if it was an electronic kit. By default it includes the 5 drum kits that RB3 comes with, but the user can easily add many more kits. At the moment you can play the drum samples by playing on the wireless RB drums for Xbox 360, by clicking on the desired tom/cymbal/pedal, or by using the keyboard shortcuts.

Then I thought, why not show the drum track of songs and play the audio so one can try to play along? So that's added now, and you can mute the drum track when the song has multitracks. But it's more like a play along kind of thing. I have no intention of scoring your playback or turning it into a game, because...

Wouldn't mind something similar for the guitar/bass too, while we're on the subject, but then I worry we're veering into "making an unofficial Rock Band game for PC that can play Rock Band tracks", which is potentially iffy, legally-speaking.

For that, there's already the very well made Phase Shift. Converting a Rock Band song into Phase Shift format takes a couple of seconds using Phase Shift Converter in C3 CON Tools, and it's a fully featured game with its own engine. All I'm doing is a rough representation of the drum chart with the limitations of Visual Studio...I'm not a game maker :)

#4 FujiSkunk

FujiSkunk
  • 578 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 02:08 PM

I understand why you don't want to turn this into a full-fledged game with scoring and such, but might perhaps this app also show energy phrases and when fill-ins trigger with a full-enough energy bar? That could allow for some quick smoke-testing of the drum part before going through the trouble of putting the file on a memory stick, starting the XBox, waiting for the cache to rebuild, etc.

If that's not the intention and you just want to create something that lets people play along, that's cool too. Either way, I'd be interested in trying it out.

#5 TrojanNemo

TrojanNemo

The Programmer

• 4,614 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 07:19 PM

That's definitely getting too much into the realm of game-making. If I get even close to it looking like it would in game, I fear it would encourage lazy review by authors who would rely on it instead of firing the game...which in turns means I would want it to be perfect to avoid false positives...which in turn gets us back to that whole make it into a game thing.
Not to mention I'm getting a headache just thinking of how to go about checking for scores during playback :brosius:

#6 Sideshow

Sideshow
  • 2,273 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 09:40 PM

I have never hooked my e-kit up to my PC before but would love to test it out on this program if it ever comes out.

#7 TrojanNemo

TrojanNemo

The Programmer

• 4,614 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 10:07 PM

You would get infinitely better results using your e-kits built-in sound samples and just hooking it up to the PC or a sound system for audio...but sure, you can try it out. It does raise the question of "will it work with an e-kit" :haw:
Right now I can only test with wireless RB drums. I can recognize the MPA as a controller, but I no longer have an e-kit at home to test the inputs with. Would you be willing to do some testing on your end to help me make sure the MPA sends the same signals the stock kit does?

#8 BravoGangUS

BravoGangUS
  • 216 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 10:13 PM

Will this support PS3 Rock Band drums?

q9aY4iR.png Newest Customs: The Rick Dance (Rick and Morty) q9aY4iR.png

#9 TrojanNemo

TrojanNemo

The Programmer

• 4,614 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 10:20 PM

Sure, as soon as someone sends me a free PS3 drumset so I can figure it out :haw:

There's no way I can make this work with a system I don't have access to a drumset for to test with.

#10 Sideshow

Sideshow
  • 2,273 posts

Posted July 27, 2015 - 12:30 AM

You would get infinitely better results using your e-kits built-in sound samples and just hooking it up to the PC or a sound system for audio...but sure, you can try it out. It does raise the question of "will it work with an e-kit" :haw:
Right now I can only test with wireless RB drums. I can recognize the MPA as a controller, but I no longer have an e-kit at home to test the inputs with. Would you be willing to do some testing on your end to help me make sure the MPA sends the same signals the stock kit does?

Sure I'll test it out.

#11 BravoGangUS

BravoGangUS
  • 216 posts

Posted July 27, 2015 - 03:08 AM

I know this is outside of the plans for this project but can RB3 keyboard be implemented as well?
It could display pro keys like you are doing for drums except without lane shifts so it displays the entire keyboard range and can optionally highlight a section of the keyboard for when lane shifts are authored

q9aY4iR.png Newest Customs: The Rick Dance (Rick and Morty) q9aY4iR.png

#12 TrojanNemo

TrojanNemo

The Programmer

• 4,614 posts

Posted July 27, 2015 - 03:14 AM

I know this is outside of plans for this project but can RB3 keyboard be implemented as well?
It could display pro keys like you are doing for drums except without lane shifts so it displays the entire keyboard range

That's outside the scope of this project. But I may or may not already have had this requested and may or may not have already agreed to do it. I'm confident I can make it happen based on how it went with this one, except this one uses WAV samples and for the keyboard I might need to do midi sound banks or something. We'll see.

P.S. I'm done working on this, short of fixing whatever I'm told is broken. I'm going to be sending a test version to Slideshow tonight and I expect an initial release tomorrow. I really did this as a proof of concept and it will not be getting much support like my main projects do. I might actually share the source code (with some redactions) if someone who can continue it wants it.

#13 TrojanNemo

TrojanNemo

The Programmer

• 4,614 posts

Posted July 28, 2015 - 04:59 AM

v1.0 of Rok Drummer is out now. I edited the OP to make this an official release thread and it will be the designated Rok Drummer thread going forward.

Thanks to Slideshow for confirming that e-kits using the MPA work and for pointing out I had the pedals switched.

#14 Sideshow

Sideshow
  • 2,273 posts

Posted July 28, 2015 - 06:03 AM

I find this program useful in checking out other authors drum charts of which you don't have their project files for. Just load the con into the program, press play, and view drum charts ala "Drummania" highway style. Whats great is that it views drum charts in Pro Mode so you can see if the chart is missing tom markers. Nifty little program.

#15 FujiSkunk

FujiSkunk
  • 578 posts

Posted July 28, 2015 - 03:08 PM

That's definitely getting too much into the realm of game-making. If I get even close to it looking like it would in game, I fear it would encourage lazy review by authors who would rely on it instead of firing the game...which in turns means I would want it to be perfect to avoid false positives...which in turn gets us back to that whole make it into a game thing.

Understood. Awesome project either way, thanks!

#16 supercharlottesmith

supercharlottesmith
  • 92 posts

Posted July 29, 2015 - 09:50 PM

Wow, that's a great idea for a fun piece of software! :excited:

I just tested it on my Win7 pro 64 bit machine with a wired drum set (to be more specific this one here: http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B000TT2D2A/) and the bass drum works awesome.

Unfortunately the other four drum pads don't trigger any sound at all. But working with the mouse on the GUI is still pretty cool. The integrated player also plays back songs pretty well and it's fun to play along with the bass drum. One time the 'Load' button was deactivated even though the song was paused but dragging a new CON file onto it worked fine. One suggestion: wouldn't it make sense to deactivate the 'Silence drums track' option if the CON loaded doesn't have any multitracks?

By the way, I used the wired driver from your opening post to connect the drum set to the PC.

Thanks for converting this awesome idea into a glorious piece of software! :dance:

#17 TrojanNemo

TrojanNemo

The Programmer

• 4,614 posts

Posted July 29, 2015 - 10:00 PM

I just tested it on my Win7 pro 64 bit machine with a wired drum set (to be more specific this one here: http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B000TT2D2A/) and the bass drum works awesome.

Unfortunately the other four drum pads don't trigger any sound at all.

Go to Help, enable 'Debug drum input' and try again. Every time you hit a pad, it should pop up with a message with information for what it registered. Make a note of which pad you're hitting, and copy/paste that information for each pad into a message to me so I can make sure next update adds support for that kit.

One time the 'Load' button was deactivated even though the song was paused but dragging a new CON file onto it worked fine.

Actually, that was by design. The Load button should be disabled while you're playing a song, but that's not really necessary anymore, so I might just make it always be enabled in the next update.

One suggestion: wouldn't it make sense to deactivate the 'Silence drums track' option if the CON loaded doesn't have any multitracks?

Only songs compiled with Magma: C3 and using the proper markers will have metadata telling me that they have multitracks. The only other way would be to get the audio, process each channel to determine if there's any sound, etc just to determine if the song has multitracks. That would take a lot more computing time that isn't really necessary. If you have that option selected and the song doesn't have multitracks, there's no harm...and if there's multitracks then it works.

I have a small update coming in the next day or so to fix detection of some tom markers, so send me the debugging info for your drumset so that can be included as well.

#18 TrojanNemo

TrojanNemo

The Programmer

• 4,614 posts

Posted July 30, 2015 - 06:50 AM

So tomorrow i'll have an update that adds support for RB1 wired drums and fixes displaying of toms when the pro drum markers aren't "standard" in size.

If any of you have Guitar Hero Xbox 360 drums and you want me to add support for them, do this:

Go to Help, enable 'Debug drum input' and try again. Every time you hit a pad, it should pop up with a message with information for what it registered. Make a note of which pad you're hitting, and copy/paste that information for each pad into a message to me so I can make sure next update adds support for that kit.

Still no progress on getting support for PS3 and Wii controllers, unfortunately.

#19 kim666

kim666
  • 29 posts

Posted July 30, 2015 - 01:51 PM

I tried your app and it is impressive what you have created in this short time.

I don't have 360 hardware only 2 wii mpa, i converted both to ps3 following this guide: http://docsrockbandm....php?f=1&t=4707
However i did not solder the dip switch bank. That means i can not convert them to 360 easily (only if i would open the mpa and solder again, but i would like to avoid this^^)
But i know that this would work, that means all mpa's are somehow identical.

So i simply used the xinput emulator to fake a 360 controller and the ps3/wii mpa works :) But all drum pads are wrong (except the bass pedal) e.g. Crash gets recognized as Snare. But every pad gets recognized somehow.

Should i create a list with the 'Debug drum input'? Or do you plan to add native PS3/Wii support without the need of a xinput emulator?

#20 TrojanNemo

TrojanNemo

The Programmer

• 4,614 posts

Posted July 30, 2015 - 02:12 PM

Absolutely. Don't fake a controller input though. Connect your drum kit, do the debugging bit and let's see what happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users