IGN First: Reveals all of May!

• Please log in to reply
227 replies to this topic

#221 xiaNaix

xiaNaix
  • 32 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 10:56 PM

Well, the video keeps screwing up about 2/3rds through so I can't see all of it, but I have 2 comments.

I'm glad they kept the character creator. That would have been a deal breaker for me. I hope they keep the options I use for my current band.

I must be half blind or something but I can't really see the huge jump in graphic quality they are talking about. Maybe it's because it's a video, maybe it's because I'm not seeing it side by side with the RB3 graphics. Or maybe it just is too subtle a difference for to me make out. I just hope that 1. The "Miranda" sunglasses aren't up on my character's forehead with the eyebrows sticking through, and 2. the skinny jeans don't have a weird "WTF" crotch area, like in RB3.

Also, in the live stream, they mentioned having some info on the tour mode this week. What happened to that, eh?

Yeah, I was shocked to hear her say that they originally weren't going to have a character creator. What the hell were they thinking?

I agree about the graphics. I can tell the textures are higher res than previous games but it's certainly not the leap in fidelity I was expecting. The animations don't look particularly different either, which is odd considering the game supposedly runs at 60fps. Certainly doesn't look like it at this stage of development.

#222 MFX

MFX
  • 408 posts

Posted May 23, 2015 - 05:34 PM

Yeah, I was shocked to hear her say that they originally weren't going to have a character creator. What the hell were they thinking?

It would have been a particularly questionable decision considering that if they spin it right they could actually sell clothing and instrument models as DLC, which they hadn't explored before. "Personalization" sells! Little add-ons like that can amount to a larger revenue stream to keep them afloat for even longer, and it doesn't require the licensing headache that songs do.

THAT SAID...

It still bugs me that they outright refuse to render guitar straps with all this "next-gen tech"! :P

#223 TrojanNemo

TrojanNemo

The Programmer

• 5,020 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 05:52 PM

And here's the RPG info. I'm not too thrilled about it, but we'll see how it plays out.

http://www.ign.com/a... ... -ign-first

#224 Kemiroch

Kemiroch
  • 718 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 06:24 PM

It sounds just like Rock Band 2 Tour Mode to me, made up as if it was all new and different.

Check out Kem's Customs! Featuring The Sounds, The Donnas, George Thorogood, and The Rolling Stones.

WIPs.

Collaboration Thread!

#225 MFX

MFX
  • 408 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 09:28 PM

I seem to remember taking in a meeting at Harmonix post-RB3 (2010-11?) and seeing a whiteboard with various RPG-ish concepts being brainstormed: perhaps they first thought of doing that along with that other aborted RB "studio" game IGN showed of late. (Though for all I know, maybe they played around with the RPG idea for DC or even Chroma.)

But here for RB4, I dunno: does branching-path career progression with "stats" of Fans and Moniez actually mean it's equivalent to an RPG? I'd say "no", but the video is so damn vague.

That said, now I have a hankering for off-brand salted meats... :P

#226 Nyxyxylyth

Nyxyxylyth

Magnificent Bastard

• Administrator
  • 1,409 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 10:24 PM

I like it. I'd have multiple bands for different goals if I had to.

#227 samjjones

samjjones
  • 1,492 posts
    NJ: The Home of Sinatra, Springsteen, and Bon Jovi

Posted May 28, 2015 - 10:50 PM

It would have been a particularly questionable decision considering that if they spin it right they could actually sell clothing and instrument models as DLC, which they hadn't explored before. "Personalization" sells! Little add-ons like that can amount to a larger revenue stream to keep them afloat for even longer, and it doesn't require the licensing headache that songs do.

THAT SAID...

It still bugs me that they outright refuse to render guitar straps with all this "next-gen tech"! :P

IIRC, Aaron and/or Pope discussedmicro-transactions in some interview or podcast a few years back; it's something that HMX is obviously aware of, and has thought about, but I think they were trying to figure out the fine line between monetizing more aspects of the game, versus alienating the game players/customers with being constantly (even more so than the in-game store) barraged with micro-transaction requests.

It sounds like they're trying to build flexibility into the RB4 engine/setup, so perhaps they're leaving the possibility open to "for purchase" clothes, instruments, maybe even venues...in the future.

#228 TrojanNemo

TrojanNemo

The Programmer

• 5,020 posts

Posted June 2, 2015 - 11:57 PM

Anyone want to watch a PowerPoint presentation on how awesome RB4 is? :haw:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users