cPlayer - The Rock Band Customs Player v2.4.0 [9/9/15]

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#21 Colonel 32dll

Colonel 32dll
  • 751 posts

Posted February 9, 2015 - 06:31 PM

I would have posted the problems I experienced using it, but I don't have the system specs you recommend. I'm still using Vista SP2 and my hardware was top-notch five years ago. :ohdear:
Love the idea, though, and when I finally upgrade my OS, I'm looking forward to utilizing it. At the moment, it plays back at a slow, chopped rate when I use it. Beautiful program, though.

#22 TrojanNemo

TrojanNemo

The Programmer

• 4,748 posts

Posted February 9, 2015 - 06:53 PM

I didn't recommend any specs, I just mentioned my own.
But I've used it on my wife's laptop and on my work computer, both of which are drastically underpowered compared to my PC, and it still worked fine.

So, what are your specs? Did you try v1.0.0? Did you try with everything disabled except the audio playback? What are the cpu and memory usage when you're using it and it plays slowly?

#23 Colonel 32dll

Colonel 32dll
  • 751 posts

Posted February 9, 2015 - 07:13 PM

So, what are your specs?

Vista 64 bit, SP2
Gigabyte MB (AMD 790X & AMD SB750)
12GB DDR3 1333 RAM
AMD Phenom II X4 945 @ 3.0Ghz
GeForce GTX 750i w/ 2GB RAM

Did you try v1.0.0?

Yes, this one and the beta behaved the same

Did you try with everything disabled except the audio playback?

Same basic results, slightly better playback (very slight, still unusable)

What are the cpu and memory usage when you're using it and it plays slowly?

CPU: 4%
Memory basically didn't budge from where it was.
Sorry I assumed it was my OS, but I figured my specs should be ok. I've had Far Cry 4 running on ultra settings - there HAS to be more going on in that game than in this program! :)

#24 TrojanNemo

TrojanNemo

The Programmer

• 4,748 posts

Posted February 9, 2015 - 09:22 PM

Yeah you should definitely have no problems running this.
Have you tried non-multitrack vs. multitrack and noticed any difference in performance?

#25 Colonel 32dll

Colonel 32dll
  • 751 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 12:26 AM

Yeah you should definitely have no problems running this.
Have you tried non-multitrack vs. multitrack and noticed any difference in performance?

I have some HMX cons - they do it. All the C3 cons do it. My own do it. Doesn't seem to matter if they're multi's or not. The new Visualizer preview does the same stuttery thing also. :(
It does this whether I use my Soundblaster audio card or the NVidia audio on my video card.

#26 TrojanNemo

TrojanNemo

The Programmer

• 4,748 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 12:32 AM

That's definitely a sox problem with your system. I rely on sox to play the audio, so that sucks.

You can try the following:

- put a WAV file in the \bin folder.
- open a command prompt window, navigate to the \bin folder and type in
sox filename.wav -d

and press enter. it should start playing the audio. does it play fine?
Maybe it's an incompatibility issue with Sox and we might be able to figure it out.

#27 Colonel 32dll

Colonel 32dll
  • 751 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 12:50 AM

You can try the following:
- put a WAV file in the \bin folder.
- open a command prompt window, navigate to the \bin folder and type in

sox filename.wav -d

and press enter. it should start playing the audio. does it play fine?

Yes it does. No problem, sounds beautiful.

#28 TrojanNemo

TrojanNemo

The Programmer

• 4,748 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 01:06 AM

Well, that sucks. It's definitely not a problem with the GUI itself, but with how sox is handling (or failing to properly handle) the moggs on your end. But you're not the only one to have mentioned this issue. I'll approach the sox gurus and see if they have an idea...although they're not very helpful.

Just to be clear, you tried with a WAV file that is bigger than a CON's mogg in file size, and that works fine, but then the CON file plays choppy?

#29 Colonel 32dll

Colonel 32dll
  • 751 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 02:06 AM

Just to be clear, you tried with a WAV file that is bigger than a CON's mogg in file size, and that works fine, but then the CON file plays choppy?

Yes, I used the backing wav from one of my customs, then the custom itself. The custom stutters but the wav played fine under the command prompt. I'm sorry I did not let you know about this before - you know, when you were actually ASKING for feedback. :rolleyes:

#30 TrojanNemo

TrojanNemo

The Programmer

• 4,748 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 02:10 AM

it's alright. I'll shoot a message to the sox peeps and see what they have to say.
hopefully others will chime in with their experience and we can try to find a common denominator for the choppy playback. if it works fine on my mother's hp box and my basic work box, I don't see why it wouldn't on every system...but obviously it's not.

#31 Hetz

Hetz

Beacon of Positivity

• 761 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 06:20 PM

Just wanted to pop in and say thank you for this Nemo! It works great for me and is really impressive. :)

#32 TrojanNemo

TrojanNemo

The Programmer

• 4,748 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 06:22 PM

Glad to hear. I downloaded v1.0.0 on work PC today and had it playing a few songs and it worked beautifully here too.
I'm working with colonel_32dll on figuring out the cause of the choppy playback - I'm fairly sure it's something that can be fixed and then everyone can enjoy it.

#33 TrojanNemo

TrojanNemo

The Programmer

• 4,748 posts

Posted February 12, 2015 - 01:30 PM

It seems Windows Vista and SoX don't get along, so the audio playback in cPlayer is crippled. If you experience problems with audio playback in cPlayer and you're NOT on Windows Vista, please post here and let me know. It's something I'm trying to find a solution to but it's not caused by my code, it's caused by SoX not getting along with something in Windows Vista.

#34 TrojanNemo

TrojanNemo

The Programmer

• 4,748 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 03:34 AM

Here are some screenshots to whet your appetite. If this doesn't, nothing I can ever do will :v:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

By the time this comes out...we're looking at v2.0. There's so much that has gone into this. Those three screenshots are showing a ton of new things. Can you spot them all?

All of this because Colonel_32dll had an ancient Windows Vista computer. :haw:

#35 Colonel 32dll

Colonel 32dll
  • 751 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 04:53 PM

Ancient computer? >:(

My old stone abacus couldn't properly run the program before, but I see 3-part harmony lyrics visuals, new graphic visuals (plus something going on upper-left corner with image/visuals) and what looks like a basic instrument preview. That instrument preview looks awesome, I can't wait to see it in action! :v:

#36 TrojanNemo

TrojanNemo

The Programmer

• 4,748 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 04:55 PM

I just saw the screenshot from work, and apparently my home LED monitor is much better than this work monitor. From here it looks like the chart preview background is all black. It's actually shaded so you can easily see where each track ends and the next begins. I guess I'll need to make the grey a bit lighter :raise:

#37 Colonel 32dll

Colonel 32dll
  • 751 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 05:13 PM

I can easily see the separation on both my monitors.
Will the tracks be named? And did 1.0 have the practice sections listed as well? I thought it did.

What a great way to access all the data in a custom at once! There should be far more excitement about this than there is. I can see myself sitting there c-Playing custom after custom just watching the charts roll by. This should prove to be a great way to quickly check lyrics. It'll also be a great way to preview the charts from some of the forums customs to see if you really want to load that song onto your stick.

#38 TrojanNemo

TrojanNemo

The Programmer

• 4,748 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 05:23 PM

I can easily see the separation on both my monitors.

Good. Maybe it's just my shitty work monitors. In any case, I might still make improvements to that.

Will the tracks be named?

At the moment they are not named, but they are organized in the same order in which Magma and REAPER list them: Drums/Bass/Guitar/ProKeys(or Keys if no ProKeys)/Harmonies(or Vocals if no Harmonies). You can also select which charts are displayed, so you can have only Pro Keys taking up the entire display, or all of them, or any combination.

And did 1.0 have the practice sections listed as well? I thought it did.

I haven't seen 1.0 in such a long time now it feels. I don't remember well, but I believe I did have that integrated by then. In either case, like everything else, displaying the practice sessions is optional.

This should prove to be a great way to quickly check lyrics. It'll also be a great way to preview the charts from some of the forums customs to see if you really want to load that song onto your stick.

In the end, it's a music player. Everything else is a bonus because I have access to that data so why not use it. But I would only use it as a rough idea of what's going on, not a 1:1 representation of what it'll be like in game.

It is kinda cool when the song has multitracks, since you can isolate the audio to any one track, then isolate the charts being displayed to that track, and choose how you want the lyrics displayed (there's more than one option ;) ), if at all.

The "thing" going on on the album art is a real time spectrum visualization of the audio playback. There's over 10 different ways for the user to choose, and as the screenshots show, you can have it huge on the side display or small on the album art field while displaying the album art in the side display.

It's all still very much in progress. I have to do a lot of code optimization and fix a few small bugs left before release. Maybe this weekend, maybe next week.

There should be far more excitement about this than there is.

I agree. I really like it, moreso because I can finally play my custom songs as if they were normal audio files. You can minimize cPlayer to your system tray and it just runs in the background without bothering anyone. You can make playlists by genre, artists, by type of sound (i.e. the Insta-Mix). And presumably, you download the customs of songs you like. So now you have a playlist of songs you like.

But with the botched first release and beta releases, I'm not surprised people haven't taken to it.

#39 Lowlander2

Lowlander2

There Can Be Only One Video Guy

• 268 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 06:02 PM

I actually chilled out to one of the first betas for an hour because it's cool that there's still so much room to utilise our RB libraries in new ways, but at this rate I'm just waiting for all the bells and whistles.

#40 clintilona

clintilona
  • 618 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 06:52 PM

This update looks sweet! Excited to get it when you're done.
**Rock Band needs more Power Metal**

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users