Chicago Chronicles 4/16 - FINALE - Liberation

Chicago jazz rock jazz fusion jazz hard rock

• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#161 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,123 posts

Posted December 4, 2016 - 02:28 AM

LATEST UPDATE 12/3 - Chicago 18 pack released!

Chicago18_SMALL.jpg

Here is my pack for Chicago 18 released in 1986. It was the first release following the departure of Peter Cetera and the last album produced by David Foster. Bassist Jason Scheff would replace Cetera on the high vocals.

Credits listed below. Also thanks to my friend Masayuki Funatsu for creating a great image for this pack.

3yQtu94.jpg
Video Preview

GUITAR: StackOverflow0x

5 LANE KEYSBansheeflyer

"Niagara Falls" is the fourth single released from Chicago 18 reaching #91 on the Billboard Hot 100 pop singles chart. Lead vocals were shared by Jason Scheff and Bill Champlin. When writing the song, the band misspelled "Niagara" as "Niagra"; this mistake can be seen in the music video's title and most likely on the album, as Warner Bros. Records and Chicago never corrected it.

gXnamoO.jpg
Video Preview

GUITAR: nsw1-6

5 LANE KEYSStackOverflow0x

If you've been paying attention to the 80's output I've released you'll notice an absence of keyboardist Robert Lamm who was such an integral part of the bands early success. His role would be diminished throughout the 70's and by the 80's he was a sideman in his own band contributing less and less to the songwriting. Forever is reminder of his greatness. The lyrics acknowledge the rising divorce rates in society and being hopeful that he won't end up that way. It concludes with the most prominent sax part in a Chicago song since 1976's Once or Twice. I was sad to learn that founding member Walt Parazaider did not do this part. Instead a session who also played sax in the 80's hit "St. Elmo's Fire".

JFAV35D.jpg
Video Preview

5 LANE KEYSBansheeflyer

"If She Would Have Been Faithful... " is a song written by Steve Kipner and Randy Goodrum with Jason Scheff singing lead vocals. It was the third single released reaching #17 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart. The lyrics deal with being thankful that your ex cheated on you which allowed the subject to meet the love of their life.

6iLB02O.jpg
Video Preview

5 LANE KEYSStackOverflow0x

This is an upbeat rocker written and sung by Bill Champlin. Vocalist will enjoy the soulful performance.

BeUc9gb.jpg

Video Preview

5 LANE KEYSBansheeflyer

"Will You Still Love Me?" was the second single released from Chicago 18 reaching number three on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart in early 1987. The song was Chicago's first top ten hit following the departure of Peter Cetera, and it featured new singer and bassist Jason Scheff on lead vocals.

#162 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,123 posts

Posted December 25, 2016 - 09:25 AM

LATEST UPDATE 12/25 - Merry Christmas!: Chicago 19 pack

Chicago19_SMALL.jpg

Here is my pack for Chicago 19 released in 1988. Credits listed below. 

Also thanks to my friend Masayuki Funatsu for creating a great image for this pack.

I8B1hcG.jpg
Video Preview

5 LANE KEYSMrBurpler

"I Don't Wanna Live Without Your Love" is a hit song written by Diane Warren with Bill Champlin singing lead vocals. The first single released from that album, it reached number three on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart.

ZUzL9m1.jpg
Video Preview

5 LANE KEYSMrBurpler

Diane Warren had written Chicago's 1988 number three pop single "I Don't Want to Live Without Your Love." The band's management wanted to tap Warren for more hit songs. The Warren ballad "Look Away" was gleamed from a situation that one of the songwriter's friends was involved in. One day when Warren was visiting her at her office, her friend's ex-husband came by. The friend told him that she'd met someone and they were planning a wedding. Warren felt that the ex wanted to get back together. "Look Away" featured Bill Champlin on lead vocals and continued to de-emphasize the band's brass section. The strategy proved successful with the million-selling "Look Away" staying at number one pop for two weeks and going to number one adult contemporary in late 1988.

#163 FujiSkunk

FujiSkunk
  • 922 posts

Posted December 28, 2016 - 02:45 AM

So I have to ask, is this it for the Chicago Chronicles, or will we see bits from Twenty-1 and beyond?

#164 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,123 posts

Posted December 28, 2016 - 02:58 AM

So I have to ask, is this it for the Chicago Chronicles, or will we see bits from Twenty-1 and beyond?

This is as far forward as I go. There's plenty left as I go back to the beginning and fill in some gaps both big and small.

#165 glarms

glarms
  • 443 posts

Posted January 20, 2017 - 02:25 AM

Just wanted to say thanks for all the great Chicago songs you and everyone involved have given us. Have you thought about doing any of Peter Cetera's solos and duets? Probably Chicago'd out by now though, right?

#166 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,123 posts

Posted January 20, 2017 - 04:18 AM

Just wanted to say thanks for all the great Chicago songs you and everyone involved have given us. Have you thought about doing any of Peter Cetera's solos and duets? Probably Chicago'd out by now though, right?

I don't like enough of his solo material to do anything. Thanks for the kudos though :)

#167 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,123 posts

Posted January 28, 2017 - 08:30 PM

LATEST UPDATE 1/27 - Chicago - Mississippi Delta City Blues

Chicago_V_SMALL.jpg

zGv0lSu.jpg
Video Preview

GUITAR: bsbloom

5 LANE KEYSBansheeflyer

"Mississippi Delta City Blues" a song written by Terry Kath which shows off how great a rhythm guitarist he was. The brass doesn't overdo it, punctuating the verses in a manner reminiscent of James Brown's band - the whole song sounds a little like Brown's Papa Don't Take No Mess. The song was one of the earliest written when they formed in 1967. This version was recorded for Chicago V but shelved once the album went from a double to a single LP. It would be rerecorded for Chicago XI in 1977 but this earlier take IMO is much more powerful and raw.

#168 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,123 posts

Posted April 1, 2017 - 12:51 PM

LATEST UPDATE 4/1 Chicago EPICS WEEK #4 - It Better End Soon

31Zs2Ug.jpg
Video Preview

GUITAR: bsbloom

5 LANE KEYSDenVaktare

Chicago Chronicles Epic Week 4 is back with “It Better End Soon”. It's a musically brilliant chronicle of the anti-Vietnam sentiment of the late 1960s and early 1970s. Anchored by a tight rhythm featuring some of Peter Cetera’s best bass playing of his entire Chicago tenure and Danny Seraphine’s tight drumming, the song chugs along with a slow build to an intense crescendo after giving Walt Parazaider a chance to show his chops on the flute and also gives Terry Kath an opportunity to soulfully preach.

#169 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,123 posts

Posted April 10, 2017 - 09:07 PM

To anyone whose been paying attention this whole time or just joined the party recently I would like to announce that the final song in the Chicago Chronicles is due this weekend and will bring to a close a project that has taken 2 and a half years to complete. Throughout the week I will be dropping little tidbits and statistics in celebration of this epic accomplishment. Please feel free to leave stories about your favorite songs and anything you might have learned about Chicago as a result of the Chronicles.

#170 DemonUnicorns

DemonUnicorns
  • 800 posts

Posted April 10, 2017 - 09:14 PM

That's absolutely amazing. Thank you and everyone else who contributed to this grand project.  :golfclap:

#171 glarms

glarms
  • 443 posts

Posted April 10, 2017 - 09:23 PM

Thank you and everything involved for doing this great band the Justice it deserved

#172 Farottone

Farottone

The Lean Mean Customs Charting Machine

• Administrator
  • 6,467 posts

Posted April 10, 2017 - 10:50 PM

Awesome!

#173 Funk Meister Freud

Funk Meister Freud
  • 919 posts

Posted April 11, 2017 - 01:39 AM

I've said it before and I'm not ashamed to say it again....

This has been a Herculean undertaking in effort, energy, scope and the sheer volume of it all! It boggles the mind.

AJFOne23 and all who contributed to this incredible project, it was quite the accomplishment! Thank You!

In playing these songs together, my wife (Housequake) has learned to appreciate music even more, not only from the listener's standpoint but also from the musician's perspective in expressing themselves. Chicago is definitely one of those bands that can do that for this game. I myself have always loved these guys and grew up listening to their music on the radio. Ever since hearing "Saturday in the Park" and "Color My World" as a pre-adolescent, this band was always part of that soundtrack to my life. Lots of great memories behind the music!

Fast forward to now and I can honestly tell you that because of playing this extensive selection of Chicago songs. I have rediscovered and developed a deeper respect for the musicianship as well, especially listening to Peter Cetera's work.(bass being my 'thang', you understand.) :cool:

You and your crew should be proud of what you've done for the game and for fans of the game! Superbly done fellas! :rock:

If I appear to be a little "off center", pay it no mind.

It's just the nogrognophobia kicking in.................

I have this morbid, unreasonable fear that the rum's run dry! :D

#174 bostengaable

bostengaable
  • 263 posts

Posted April 11, 2017 - 01:44 AM

Thanks to all involved on project especially AJFOne23, he Brings to us the greatest experience with chicago tunes, after and before Peter Cetera era, the best way to finish this great project: about more than 2 years, is playing "You´re the inspiration".

#175 Thomas O'Malley

Thomas O'Malley
  • 86 posts

Posted April 11, 2017 - 02:33 PM

A huge thx and congrats to all involved. i been keeping tabs on this and i popped in at the perfect time nearing the end. I've been busy with rivials but someday i will get to enjoy all the Chicago from your thread. The few i've gotten to play has been great, usually i'll hit drums bc that happens to be my fave instrument atm but i'll take a stab at all instruments. You gave me a new appreciation for this band they really are great and i probably would have never known without the contributions you made to this community a big thank you AJFOne23!

#176 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,123 posts

Posted April 11, 2017 - 05:03 PM

In my original post I cited the Genesis Chronicles as my inspiration and stated that I wouldn't expect to use 17 authors or take a year to finish it. Well I was right but in the opposite direction. This project would take me 28 months and use 27 different author contributors. Thanks to everyone who helped along the way.

#177 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,123 posts

Posted April 15, 2017 - 01:29 AM

I've compiled the list of contributors and I want to say thank you to all who came through for me.
My MVP is Bansheeflyer. The All Rockband contributor team is bsbloom, anglebracket, and nsw1-6. I couldn't have pulled this off without you all.

Bansheeflyer - 52
bsbloom - 29
anglebracket - 27
nsw1-6 - 24
StackOverflow0X - 16
MrBurpler - 11
Mb1nightmare - 10
BearzUnlimited - 9
ghostbyob - 8
DoNotPassGo - 6
Dash Riprock - 5
Arcanon - 4
FujiSkunk - 4
GreenPanda12 - 3
DenVaktare - 2
Nightmare Lyra - 1
Meander - 1
funkydunkleman - 1
missingno42128 - 1
Kloporte - 1
GanonMetroid - 1
Kemiroch - 1
-para-dox - 1
atupomaruru - 1
Jake - 1
DemonUnicorns - 1
Sygenysis - 1
Chips - 1

#178 MrBurpler

MrBurpler
  • 165 posts

Posted April 15, 2017 - 03:54 AM

I have to say that I'm pretty sure this project was started before I was even aware of the website and the idea of Rock Band 3 customs, so to go from that to having AFJOne23 work on 11 customs for the project is very rewarding for me. In fact, being able to play songs like 'Beginnings' and 'Introduction' helped me to get into them as a band and realize that they are a lot more than the power ballads that made them popular.

Thank you AFJOne23, thank you for starting this project, thank you for letting me work and contribute to this project, and thank you for helping me discover a new band I spend hours online searching for vinyl copies of their records!

Customs Thread, Customs Song DBWIP Thread, C3U Profile, MGMT WIP Thread

If you see "MrBurpler" anywhere on the internet there is a 99% chance that it's me.

#179 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,123 posts

Posted April 16, 2017 - 08:27 AM

LATEST UPDATE 4/16 Chicago Chronicles Finale - Liberation

1blwJJM.jpg
Video Preview

5 LANE KEYSBansheeflyer

Chicago Chronicles concludes with “Liberation” from the debut album Chicago Transit Authority. At 14 minutes it is the longest song in the catalog. It's a composition that provides a unique space for Terry Kath to create and share the awesome depth and breadth of his talent with the guitar. With his masterful ability to shift from aggressiveness and intensity to softness and sensuality, Terry shows the myriad of sounds he can coax from his guitar. From ethereal, delicate strumming to his supersonic shredding, we stand witness to his genius in this groundbreaking instrumental.

So now after 115 songs I must bid the Chicago Chronicles farewell. It's been a real testament to dedication and resolve. Again I would like to thank each and everybody who had a hand in getting to the finish line. Much love to you all. Peace!

Chicago-resize.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chicago, jazz rock, jazz fusion, jazz, hard rock

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users