AJFOne's Customs 8/9 - 6 year Anniversary UPDATE: Chicago - Beginnings

Chicago Prog Classic Rock Jazz Metal Iced Earth Frank Zappa Weird Al Mastodon Chris Cornell

• Please log in to reply
1925 replies to this topic

#1921 Shroud

Shroud
  • 507 posts

Posted July 31, 2020 - 07:05 PM

LATEST UPDATE 7/31 Frank Friday's - Catholic Girls

frank-zappa-banner.jpg

v0KvVAs.jpg
Video Preview

GUITAR: MrPrezident/rubydanger

DRUMS: MrBurpler

Part of the 1979 concept album Joe's Garage, "Catholic Girls" is a cynical song on the hypocrisy of some parishioners. You meet Mary, the main female character in the story. Joe and her meet at the CYO (Catholic Youth Organization) for trivial social activities. But catholic girls are no angels and while their parents think they're sending them to a sexually repressive environment, "they're learning to blow/All the Catholic Boys!"

"Catholic Girls" is one of Frank Zappa's best-known songs, along with "Dancin' Fool." It features all of his tricks: the religion vs. sex topic, the multiple voices and characterizations, sped-up voices, and bass vocal accompaniment, the silliness of the music emphasizing the plot's, an irresistible lightness, and a snippet of complexity in the 9/8 and 7/8 introductory riff. It's irreverent fun.

The song is fantastic, but it's not "FF" rating :D

#1922 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,268 posts

Posted August 4, 2020 - 07:08 AM

LATEST UPDATE 8/4 - Letters to Cleo - I Want You to Want Me

Y9wtqnv.jpg

Video Preview

GUITAR: EchoOfMystery

Back in the 90s and early 00s, Letters to Cleo were all over the teen movie soundtracks of the era—The Craft, Josie and the Pussycats and 10 Things I Hate About You. They provided the songs that made these teen dramas resonate that much deeper. Formed in 1990 and led by Kay Hanley, the six-piece ermerged from Boston's burgeoning alt-rock scene. The indie outfit most famously recorded a cover of Cheap Trick’s “I Want You to Want Me,” which would eventually find its way to the 10 Things I Hate About You soundtrack.

#1923 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,268 posts

Posted August 5, 2020 - 07:08 AM

LATEST UPDATE 8/5 - The Who - The Song is Over

KRyqzHH.jpg

Video Preview

GUITAR: EchoOfMystery

STANDARD KEYS: Bansheeflyer

#1924 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,268 posts

Posted August 6, 2020 - 06:31 AM

LATEST UPDATE 8/6 - Chick Corea vs. Steve Vai - The Rumble

CMLwsra.jpg

Video Preview

GUITAR: Fabysk

KEYSEmotionalFlight

The concept was to bring together two bands in a dueling musical atmosphere. In the film "Westside Story", "Rumble" is sort of the do-or-die dance that takes place between the Jets and the Sharks. The arrangement was done so 2 bands would face each other. The bands were Chick Corea's Elektric Band (Chick Corea - keyboards, Dave Weckl - drums, Frank Gambale - guitar, Jimmy Earl - bass, Eric Marienthal - saxophone) vs. Steve Vai's Monsters (Steve Vai - guitar, Simon Phillips - drums, John Pena - bass, David Paich - keyboards, Lenny Castro - percussion.)

Thanks to MrBurpler for the video preview and drum review!

#1925 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,268 posts

Posted August 7, 2020 - 07:01 AM

LATEST UPDATE 8/7 - Frank Friday's - Rollo

frank-zappa-banner.jpg

SOkmQbK.jpg
Video Preview

GUITAR: SteveHasAMustache

STANDARD KEYS: MrBurpler

#1926 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,268 posts

Posted Today

CTA-RBsmall.jpg

I failed to acknowledge my 5 year charting anniversary last year so I might as well do something this year. And why not update something from my earliest days.

LATEST UPDATE 8/9 - 6 year Anniversary UPDATE: Chicago - Beginnings

dqxLGmF.jpg
Video Preview

GUITAR: rubydanger

STANDARD KEYSDoNotPassGo

UPDATED 8/9/2020: Guitar, bass, drums, vocals, and venue all brought up to my modern standards  :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chicago, Prog, Classic Rock, Jazz, Metal, Iced Earth, Frank Zappa, Weird Al, Mastodon, Chris Cornell

24 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (5)