AJFOne's Customs 7/16 - The Bee Gees - Words

Chicago Prog Classic Rock Jazz Metal Iced Earth Frank Zappa Weird Al Mastodon Chris Cornell

• Please log in to reply
1715 replies to this topic

#1641 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,033 posts

Posted May 12, 2019 - 08:48 AM

chris-cornell-tribute-banner.png?width=5

LATEST UPDATE 5/12 - Soundgarden - Get On the Snake

Get-On-The-Snake-rb3con-visual.jpg

Video Preview

GUITAR: nicholasp248

VOCALS: EchoOfMystery

This song is an ode to the days when Soundgarden were just starting out, traveling from gig to gig in a beat-up van (the "snake" is the highway). It wasn't comfortable, but the band was doing what they loved and hungry to make it. Like Bruce Springsteen in "Born To Run," they found themselves traveling in "suicide machines" - not the safest way to get around, but a chance to follow your dreams. Soundgarden used unusual time signatures in their songs, which are not always easy to identify. Like "Never the Machine Forever," this one is in 9/4 time. "You can't dance to it, but it sort of sneaks up on you anyway," their guitarist Kim Thayil said.

#1642 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,033 posts

Posted May 13, 2019 - 10:35 AM

LATEST UPDATE 5/13 - Soundgarden - Gun (Live)

Gun-rb3con-visual.jpg

Video Preview

GUITARMb1nightmare

VOCALS: Qweflol

DRUMS: MrBurpler

Gun demonstrates exactly what early Soundgarden is about. It’s doomy and slow, gradually building in speed until the punk-driven bridge, with a solo that has not quite yet taken on Kim’s trademark sound but still kicks ass.

#1643 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,033 posts

Posted May 14, 2019 - 06:58 AM

LATEST UPDATE 5/14 - Soundgarden - She Likes Surprises

She-Likes-Suprises-rb3con-visual.jpg

Video Preview

GUITAR: Ewden56

"She Likes Surprises" is part funk, part metal, part blues, all Soundgarden. Again odd times, again great vocals and the weirdest chorus in Soundgarden's discography.

#1644 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,033 posts

Posted May 15, 2019 - 07:05 AM

LATEST UPDATE 5/15 - Soundgarden - Overfloater

Overfloater-rb3con-visual.jpg

Video Preview

GUITAR: suburbia/FUGGNUTZ

“Overfloater” is one of those serpentine, foreboding Soundgarden songs that’s trippy while brooding, winding its way to the inevitable explosion at the end, where Cornell’s layered wails and Thayil’s outro solo wrap around each other before one last chorus.

#1645 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,033 posts

Posted May 16, 2019 - 07:23 AM

LATEST UPDATE 5/16 - Soundgarden - Blood on the Valley Floor

Bloodonthe-Valley-Floor-rb3con-visual.jp

Video Preview

GUITARSunfire Cobra

"Blood On The Valley Floor" is cleverly reminiscent of Black Sabbath and features a bone crushing main riff. The song presents a desperate scene of genocide and senseless violence: “And the blood dries/while we spill/some more”. Specifics are, of course, not to be found. Is it a physical event, an inner violence, or a metaphor for a society or culture as a whole? My continuing impression is of hell itself, with the damned tumbling down to where “the smoke lies on the valley floor”.

#1646 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,033 posts

Posted May 17, 2019 - 11:15 AM

LATEST UPDATE 5/17 - Chris Cornell - Euphoria Mourning 3 pack

8fcqot0.jpg

Video Preview

GUITAR: EchoOfMystery

By far the heaviest song on the album, "Mission" is a song that is fitting only for a badass.  Chris Cornell belts out some outrageous screams all while heavy guitar erupts around him. The mercilessly mocking lyrics fit the music like red wine fits a steak dinner. Only, this steak is bloody. Cornell rips this song apart with his voice. Mission is a great time that likely killed this man’s vocal chords.

pVg7Ql0.jpg

Video Preview

"Pillow of Your Bones'" lyrics are poetic, the acoustics are deep, the bass is wild, and the guitar is robust. I especially love the calming, almost trance-like chorus. It's flavored with some more subtle Middle Eastern melodies, giving it an overall mysterious vibe.

0p2F4FJ.jpg

Video Preview

The main guitar riff of Wave Goodbye sounds a lot like something that Phish would play. In other words, it’s funky. Wave Goodbye retains a rockish sound, but the funky guitar and gliding bass keep it from being a hardcore rock song. I don’t mind the sound at all, as it makes for some easy listening. Cornell wrote this for his good friend Jeff Buckley, who had recently died and said that it was one of the most straightforward songs that he has ever written.

#1647 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,033 posts

Posted May 18, 2019 - 01:52 PM

LATEST UPDATE 5/18 - Chris Cornell - Seasons 2 pack

lUBXXAr.jpg

Video Preview

GUITAR: SteveHasAMustache

VIDEO PREVIEW: MrPrezident

Cornell’s moving, understated solo contribution to the Singles soundtrack grew out of a piece of fiction: a solo cassette made by Matt Dillon’s Cliff Poncier after parting with his band, Citizen Dick. Cornell took it upon himself to actually write songs for the tape, one of which was this reflective folk ballad. “Holy shit, this is Chris Cornell, as Cliff Poncier, recording all of these songs, with lyrics, and total creative vision, and he has recorded the entire fake, solo cassette,” director Cameron Crowe recalled of first hearing the EP that would come to be known simply as Poncier. “And it’s fantastic. And ‘Seasons’ comes on. And you just can’t help but go, ‘Wow.’ This is a guy who we’ve only known in Soundgarden. And of course he’s incredibly creative, but who’s heard him like this?”

jHwxunj.jpg

Video Preview

GUITAR: SteveHasAMustache

VIDEO PREVIEW: MrPrezident

New Jersey based rock trio Pseutopia released a brilliant cover of Seasons last year featuring former Pearl Jam drummer Dave Abbruzzese. According to the members: We were deeply affected by Chris's untimely death. As one of our strongest influences we felt almost compelled to pay our respects and tribute to him. “Seasons” is one of his masterpieces and one of our favorites. We really hope we were were able to do justice to this great song and the genius of Chris Cornell. We sent Dave the demo of “Seasons” that we had done. He was really impressed with our version and was on board to play on the track. Dave is a true inspiration and joy to work with. He is one of our heroes and for him to play on our tribute to Chris is just surreal.

#1648 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,033 posts

Posted May 18, 2019 - 03:28 PM

Added in playtest preview videos courtesy of MrPrezident.

#1649 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,033 posts

Posted May 19, 2019 - 03:53 PM

LATEST UPDATE 5/19 - Soundgarden - Power Trip

WOefTHc.jpg

Video Preview

GUITAR: nicholasp248

Power Trip shows that Soundgarden were undeniably a Led Zeppelin influenced band, with bluesy guitars, emotional, 70s like vocals from Cornell, and interesting, poetic lyrics.

#1650 Harrug

Harrug
  • 26 posts

Posted May 19, 2019 - 04:31 PM

Just wanted to say thank you so much for all of the tracks you've done so far for Cornell/Soundgarden, they are awesome!  I was especially happy to see Seasons, as I love the Singles soundtrack.  Fantastic work that has most definitely not gone underappreciated!

#1651 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,033 posts

Posted May 19, 2019 - 05:03 PM

Just wanted to say thank you so much for all of the tracks you've done so far for Cornell/Soundgarden, they are awesome!  I was especially happy to see Seasons, as I love the Singles soundtrack.  Fantastic work that has most definitely not gone underappreciated!

Thank you. This month is more about honoring Chris and his legacy than how much sleep I don't get. At the end it'll be more than worth it.

#1652 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,033 posts

Posted May 20, 2019 - 11:56 AM

LATEST UPDATE 5/20 - Soundgarden - Flower

EMwyctT.jpg

Video Preview

GUITAR: ghostbyob

DRUMS: MrBurpler

On "Flower" Cornell’s devilish delivery ­– guttural yet knowing, extending vowels like they’re made of Play-Doh – is a complement to his withering lyrics, which tell the tale of a young woman whose fast-living lifestyle results in dying young. 

#1653 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,033 posts

Posted May 21, 2019 - 01:38 PM

LATEST UPDATE 5/21 - Soundgarden - By Crooked Steps

By-Crooked-Steps-rb3con-visual.jpg

Video Preview

GUITAR: Fbs13

Soundgarden’s famous odd time signatures evolve further on standout “By Crooked Steps.” Cornell soars above jackhammering guitar parts and straight-ahead drumming, a mismatch that somehow sounds natural while claiming new ground for the band.

#1654 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,033 posts

Posted May 22, 2019 - 02:39 PM

LATEST UPDATE 5/22 - Soundgarden - Mailman

3uWmQnG.jpg

Video Preview

GUITARMb1nightmare

There's a slow grind among the sludgy sounds of "Mailman," which features music by Matt Cameron. But Cornell sings as if the lyrics are an incantation, oscillating between a breathy tenor and measured high notes; "All your kisses / turned to spit in my face." Cameron mans a mellotron that bends the space-time continuum of the song, and Cornell reaches up so high on the chorus ("I know I'm headed for the bottom / but I'm riding you all the way!") the sound distorts around him. "When Chris sings high, he tends to sing harder and louder than just about anything on this earth," producer Michael Beinhorn told Billboard in 1994. "He literally blew through a bunch of condenser mikes. I've never seen anyone do that."

#1655 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,033 posts

Posted May 23, 2019 - 05:54 AM

LATEST UPDATE 5/23 - Soundgarden - Dusty

4qTEYgc.jpg

Video Preview

GUITARMb1nightmare

"Nothing's gonna put me out/ It's backing down and under/ I'm down on the upside now." The de facto title track to Soundgarden's final LP in their first incarnation was a good example of that album at its most compelling -- knotty, mysterious folk-prog that returned grunge from its rainiest days much closer to its arid, Neil Young roots. Dust never sleeps.

#1656 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,033 posts

Posted May 24, 2019 - 05:19 AM

LATEST UPDATE 5/24 - Soundgarden - Worse Dreams

W5fsaOX.jpg

Video Preview

GUITARSunfire Cobra

The dreams of worldly success referred to here is transformed into a nightmare in “Worse Dreams”, which describes the soul desperately clinging to hold on and survive in the midst of all things swirling and falling apart. “Everybody in/Sit down and keep on holding on”, Cornell exhorts, as he notes how the “black clouds drown” and the “rain is walking”.

#1657 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,033 posts

Posted May 25, 2019 - 05:37 AM

LATEST UPDATE 5/25 - Chris Cornell - Euphoria Mourning 2 pack

cLnNBrq.jpg

Video Preview

VOCALS: Qweflol

Chris wrote this song while working on the movie Singles. In the film, Matt Dillon's character, Cliff Poncier, peddles his tape of solo songs. The fictitious tracklist was devised by Jeff Ament of Pearl Jam, who was also working on the film. Cornell recorded songs with those titles on a 4-track tape machine, which is what Cliff Poncier would have used. One of those songs is "Flutter Girl," which Cornell turned into a heartaching song about a delicate girl he is setting free, as she is better off without him.

u5TTanB.jpg

Video Preview

GUITAR: EchoOfMystery/Bansheeflyer

On "Moonchild," Cornell affectionately describes how his wife (and former Soundgarden manager), Susan Silver, "gets really freaked out during the full moon." Cornell and Silver were married from 1990-2004.

#1658 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,033 posts

Posted May 26, 2019 - 08:17 AM

LATEST UPDATE 5/26 - Soundgarden - Halfway There

MxZ9Xpj.jpg

Video Preview

GUITARSunfire Cobra

“Halfway There” is a matter-of-fact take on class stagnation: “Something to eat?/I would say you’re doing better than most, though maybe not as well as some,” Cornell observes.

#1659 WaxTrax

WaxTrax
  • 6 posts

Posted May 26, 2019 - 12:21 PM

As always thank you so much for all the customs you've done, and most especially early Soundgarden! What do you think about doing Entering, Nothing to Say, or Fopp sometime? :-) :-) :-) 

#1660 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,033 posts

Posted May 27, 2019 - 06:23 AM

LATEST UPDATE 5/27 - Chris Cornell feat. Joy Williams - Misery Chain

gnLZXbX.jpg

Video Preview

GUITAR: ghostbyob

STANDARD KEYSFujiSkunk

Chris contributed a song to the 12 Years a Slave soundtrack in 2013 called “Misery Chain” with Civil Wars vocalist Joy Williams. In a press release, Cornell talked about the inspiration for the track. “I was moved by this film and the story in a way that transcends any film experience I have ever had,” he said. “I was inspired to write a hundred different songs, but finally landed on one based on what I believe is an extremely important message I took from this man’s journey. Compassion, basic human rights and love must be our priorities above race, religion or commerce. Every generation needs a reminder of that simple idea.”

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chicago, Prog, Classic Rock, Jazz, Metal, Iced Earth, Frank Zappa, Weird Al, Mastodon, Chris Cornell

356 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 354 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (2)