AJFOne's Customs 7/14 - Soundgarden - New Damage

Chicago Prog Classic Rock Jazz Metal Iced Earth Frank Zappa Weird Al Mastodon Chris Cornell

• Please log in to reply
1405 replies to this topic

#1221 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,737 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 03:17 AM

This is one helluva month. Amazing selections.

paul-simon-retiring-today-tease-180205_d

#1222 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,737 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 08:05 AM

amour-month-banner-candy-hearts.png

LATEST UPDATE 2/14 - AMOUR MONTH DAY #14 Stevie Wonder - My Cherie Amour

mhORzPi.jpg

Video Preview

GUITARBattlePenguin/Ultimate_MANG0

BASS: doa

VOCALS/STANDARD KEYS: MrPrezident

GUEST WRITE UP: Funk Meister Freud.

Of all the songs released for this special project, I'm really behind AJFOne23's choice of Stevie Wonder's "My Cherie Amour". This 1969 Motown Hit written by Wonder, Silvia Moy and 'Funk Brother' session musician, Henry 'Hank' Cosby, in my opinion, is among one of the top bona fide love ballads worthy of the honor. This truly gorgeous ballad warms the heart like not many other songs can. Full of contemplative longing and boyish innocence, Wonder paints a loving tribute to the magic of the fairer sex and how their very being can stir so much love and anticipated bliss that comes with falling and being in love. From the whimsical flute intro to the accompanying rhythm guitar and romantic string arrangements, "My Cherie Amour" is an alluring, poetic and musical journey through the mind's eye of a young man's first love....

In the spirit of this song, I'd like to wish all of you who make those of us that can relate to "My Cherie Amour", a very 'Happy Valentine's Day' filled with fun, laughter and just being with the one you hold most dear to your heart! 

#1223 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,737 posts

Posted February 15, 2018 - 08:04 AM

LATEST UPDATE 2/15 - AMOUR MONTH DAY #15 The Ides of March - Vehicle

SbsvpTF.jpg

Video Preview

GUITAR/BASS/VOCALS: raphaelgoulart

STANDARD KEYSEmotionalFlight

Quaking with booming soulful vocals, funky hard edged frequencies and screaming horns, “Vehicle” yields an admirable job of combining a big-band beat with rough and tumble blues rock, capped off with cushions of gospel styled choruses. Imagine a collaboration between the Chambers Brothers, Steppenwolf and Glenn Miller, and there you have it. The lyrics were inspired by a girl who always asked him to drive her here, there and everywhere. He had a crush on her but the feeling did not appear mutual. Jim was under the impression the young lady was simply using him for rides. Well, to make a long story short, they did get together, became husband and wife and remain happily married after all these years!

#1224 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,737 posts

Posted February 16, 2018 - 08:03 AM

LATEST UPDATE 2/16 - AMOUR MONTH DAY #16 Stone Temple Pilots 2 pack

JSwHQ9c.jpg

Video Preview

GUITAR: naginalJJ

VOCALS: TheWay123

"Wonderful," a beautiful, spacey ballad with gorgeous slide guitar. The verses are acoustic and beautiful along with Scott's voice. The pre-chorus is what makes the song however, when Scott sings "Must be moving on", it's basically the high moment of beauty in the song. Great slide guitar solo that fits with the acoustics in the background. A live version appears on The Family Values Tour 2001 compilation album, which features Chester Bennington of Linkin Park.

P7nOHty.jpg

Video Preview

GUITAR: naginalJJ

VOCALS: TheWay123

"I Got You" is a sixties-influenced melancholy countryish song that sounds like nothing else on this album. Slow, brooding, beautiful. Like "Sour Girl," Scott Weiland wrote this song's lyric about his first wife Janina Castaneda, who he was in the process of divorcing. In "I Got You," Weiland explains that no matter how many times she tried to right his course, he always went back to his old ways: drug addiction and volatile behavior.
There are some very overt drug references in the track, as Weiland sings, "The mind begins to wander to the spoon," and "The fix begins to twist my troubled mind."

#1225 TheWay123

TheWay123
  • 126 posts

Posted February 16, 2018 - 08:51 PM

Harmonies were really fun to chart on both of these songs, hope you guys enjoy 'em!

#1226 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,737 posts

Posted February 17, 2018 - 01:12 AM

Harmonies were really fun to chart on both of these songs, hope you guys enjoy 'em!

Thanks for stepping up to the vocal challenge!

#1227 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,737 posts

Posted February 17, 2018 - 09:03 AM

LATEST UPDATE 2/17 - AMOUR MONTH DAY #17 Billy Joel 3 pack

y0JE2vA.jpg

Video Preview

GUITAR: nsw1-6

On “Through The Long Night” Billy Joel does one of the things he does best; he takes a dark and difficult subject and wraps a sweet and gentle song around it. The difficult subject is a partner dealing with depression and the sweetness is the melody that plays out over a quiet arrangement like a lullaby sung to help a troubled mind stop racing long enough to feel some peace. Like most of the songs on side two of Glass Houses, "Through The Long Night," did not get much recognition and is rarely played, but hardcore Billy Joel fans are fond of this sad and introspective ballad.  It’s my favorite Billy Joel tune of all time.

kFnl52c.jpg

Video Preview

VOCALS: EchoOfMystery

The least known song from The Stranger is probably "Get It Right The First Time."   It is an upbeat, funky, Latin-tinged, disco-like song; just a nice bit of fun.  The song opens with Liberty Devitto and Doug Stegmeyer laying down a funky drum and bass line, and then Richie Cannata comes in playing the flute.  The song is catchy and the bossa nova type beat is irrestible. Thematically, the song is about taking a chance on making a good first impression with someone.  You have to seize the moment and make the most of your opportunity because you may not get another.

3Do6LPh.jpg

Video Preview

VOCALS: Atruejedi

The first side of 1982's The Nylon Curtain is so packed with hits ("Allentown," "Pressure" and "Goodnight Saigon") that "Laura" is often overlooked. Joel says the extremely bitter tune wasn't inspired be a single person. "Let's put it this way," he said in 1996. "It's not about anybody in particular like a lover. It's whoever the one person is that knows how to push your buttons. It can be someone in your family. It can be a lover, a wife, a husband, a child. I'm sure everyone knows what I'm talking about. It was that one person in my life who knew how to push my buttons."

#1228 maxsgtp

maxsgtp
  • 60 posts

Posted February 17, 2018 - 12:15 PM

You are awesome. Thanks again!

#1229 rezavakili

rezavakili
  • 392 posts

Posted February 17, 2018 - 12:29 PM

I don’t want to sound like a broken record but WOW what a month of releases. Everyday has been awesome. Thanks to everyone involved.

#1230 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,737 posts

Posted February 17, 2018 - 08:48 PM

You are awesome. Thanks again!

You're too kind  :allears:

I don’t want to sound like a broken record but WOW what a month of releases. Everyday has been awesome. Thanks to everyone involved.

That was my intention when planning this month. Glad you are enjoying the fruits of our labor  :)

#1231 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,737 posts

Posted February 18, 2018 - 08:04 AM

LATEST UPDATE 2/18 - AMOUR MONTH DAY #18 Foo Fighters 3 pack/Hall & Oates

ih5bKOI.jpg

Video Preview

GUITAR: Mb1nightmare

"Dear Lover", once a B-side of "My Hero" and a castaway on the Screams 2 soundtrack, turns out to be a perfectly poignant little thing that never gets as melodramatic as, say, "Walking After You". Really, it's the quiet, reflective side of "Everlong" and the aftermath of the events that inspired the album; "Now I know the way true love should be," Grohl sings with a sort of contented sorrow, as the rest of his life opens up and the painful memories start to fade.

FoIj8ij.jpg

Video Preview

GUITARBattlePenguin

BASS: naginalJJ

In 1997 Dave Grohl composed all 13 songs for the original motion picture soundtrack for the movie Touch including the title track "Touch", a duet with Grohl's then girlfriend Louise Post of the band Veruca Salt. Grohl played all the instruments. 

RGwJoz0.jpg

Video Preview

GUITAR: TheWay123

"How Do You Do" was the only other new song with vocals and features Dave's classic blazing guitars and signature drum work all wrapped in a little Beatles pop-rock package, circa The Colour and the Shape.

tfYnvPW.jpg

Video Preview

GUITAR/BASS/KEYS: Kemiroch

VOCALS: BornGamerRob

GUEST WRITE UP: Funk Meister Freud.

In keeping company with the likes of The Rascals, Boz Scaggs and Steve Winwood,..Hall & Oates are yet another prime example of what 'Blue Eyed Soul' delivers. Reaching #4 on Billboard's 'Hot 100' in 1976, "Sarah Smile" took to the airwaves and launched the beginnings of a very lucrative and successful run of top selling songs for Philly's own dynamic duo. The song begins with a tender and thoughtful, almost melancholy lead guitar line that invokes the listener in for a singular sit down, 'heart to heart'.  "Sara Smile" captures one lover's assessment of his romance with his woman. In it's quiet reflection, the lyrics ride along on a subtle mix of keyboards and bottom end. Backing vocals are simple and sustaining in delivery and the occasional string arrangement backs an emotional mood setting. Compositionally, one can't help but feel that the song illustrates what it's like when talking to oneself or thinking aloud. Some may disagree with that perception, but I just feel that way. All in all, a very soulful expression that leaves one to ponder what becomes of the relationship, which I think is a rather cool way of presenting the song and allowing the listener to come to their own conclusion. Great song with an impressive feel and flair.

#1232 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,737 posts

Posted February 19, 2018 - 07:59 AM

LATEST UPDATE 2/19 - AMOUR MONTH DAY #19 The Cardigans - Carnival

pd5vDRP.jpg

Video Preview

GUITAR: SuperRiderTH

"Carnival" opens with a nice uptempo funk beat and an insistent jazzy pop melody with some well orchestrated strings. Surely one of those hit songs that was also instrumentally rich at the same time. Turn to this song if you want to be reminded of the spirit of young love and fun, this song's carnival will have you smiling in seconds.

#1233 rcale

rcale
  • 373 posts

Posted February 19, 2018 - 09:56 AM

Are you shitting me?? This is one of my favourite records! This has improved my Monday significantly.

Thank you!

#1234 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,737 posts

Posted February 19, 2018 - 07:14 PM

Are you shitting me?? This is one of my favourite records! This has improved my Monday significantly.

Thank you!

Do you mean the song or the full record Life (Swedish version)?

#1235 rcale

rcale
  • 373 posts

Posted February 19, 2018 - 08:19 PM

The song. I never gave most of their albums the time they deserved (unlike Gran Turismo which I listened to a lot) though you posting this has inspired me to go back to Life. 'Carnival' is simply stunning though. Those strings just destroy me every time. I am so pleased you've charted this.

#1236 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,737 posts

Posted February 20, 2018 - 05:26 AM

the first 3 albums are great front to back. their sound changed forever afterwards which is a shame

#1237 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,737 posts

Posted February 20, 2018 - 08:06 AM

LATEST UPDATE 2/20 - AMOUR MONTH DAY #20 The Allman Brothers - Melissa

VCd4BzB.jpg
Video Preview

GUITAR/BASS: bsbloom

A plaintive country-rock ballad, "Melissa" finds the Allman Brothers in melancholy mood on their first outing after the death of founder Duane Allman, the 1972 LP Eat a Peach. Written by Gregg Allman and Stephen Alaimo, the song was an FM radio hit and propelled the album to commercial success. It is a classic rock radio staple to this day.

One of the great soul singers, Gregg Allman sounds absolutely bruised and ravaged on "Melissa." His voice constantly struggles with the pitch on the original recording, the ultimate effect of which is to convey deep vulnerability and weariness. Throughout the entire arrangement, Dickey Betts soars on wistful guitar lines through a slap-back tape-echo effect and a volume pedal that allows the musical runs to float in and out like a pedal steel. He hits some notes that he chooses to leave hanging, sustaining for impossible lengths, saying so much with single notes that fade away. It is one of his career-making performances.

#1238 Funk Meister Freud

Funk Meister Freud
  • 912 posts

Posted February 20, 2018 - 09:22 AM

Yes indeedy!

This album represents several 'Firsts' for me......

First time discovering the Allman Bros. (elder cousin had the 'Eat a Peach' 8 track tape, he turned me on to 'em)

First Allman Bros. Album I owned.....loved "One Way Out", "Melissa" and "Blue Sky".

First time I really learned to appreciate 'The lead guitar solo/player' - Betts was the shit, man....he was the gateway for me to understanding 'guitar virtuoso'!  :cool:  

Thanks guys! Cool release! :D  :rock:

#1239 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,737 posts

Posted February 20, 2018 - 08:55 PM

Glad I picked this one last minute. Sometimes I think my tastes are less broad and more personal but sometimes I get surprised and find more people dig my style. Shout out to my Melissa who inspired this selection  :wub:

#1240 samjjones

samjjones
  • 1,442 posts
    NJ: The Home of Sinatra, Springsteen, and Bon Jovi

Posted February 21, 2018 - 01:52 AM

Amazing song choice!!!  

Can't wait to voxtar this one someday.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chicago, Prog, Classic Rock, Jazz, Metal, Iced Earth, Frank Zappa, Weird Al, Mastodon, Chris Cornell

249 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 248 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)