AJFOne's Customs 6/26 Mastodon Monday - Feast Your Eyes; Soundgarden 2 pack; Lost classics; Frank Zappa - We Are Not Alone

Genesis Chicago Prog Classic Rock Jazz Metal Pro drums pro keys Iced Earth Frank Zappa

• Please log in to reply
909 replies to this topic

#881 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,314 posts

Posted June 5, 2017 - 08:33 AM

RgEgmkt.png

LATEST UPDATE 6/5 Mastodon Monday - Circle of Cysquatch

QTzc2Da.jpg
Video Preview

GUITAR: ZSonicMaster

#882 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,314 posts

Posted June 9, 2017 - 03:13 PM

LATEST UPDATE 6/9 Frank Zappa - Teen-Age Wind

wExpz3h.jpg
Video Preview

GUITAR/BASSnsw1-6

The opening cut on the 1981 album You Are What You Is, "Teen-Age Wind" addressed the American youth's request for freedom without the burden of responsibility. All the teenaged character wants to do is go to a Grateful Dead concert, sniff glue, and get ripped. He also mentions going "to a midnite [sic] show of 200 Motels," which prompts a guest appearance by Jimmy Carl Black reciting some key lines from Zappa's movie script, such as "Opal, you hot little bitch!" and "You ain't the devil!" After this first part in a pop mood, the piece takes a turn toward the rhythmically complex for the conclusion. Zappa mocks teenagers in his closing chorus: "Free is when you don't have to pay for nothing/Or do nothing/We want to be free/Free as the wind," scorching Kris Kristofferson's hit "Ride Like the Wind" on the way.

#883 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,314 posts

Posted June 10, 2017 - 12:30 AM

More Soundgarden coming this weekend. Long live Chris Cornell.

#884 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,314 posts

Posted June 10, 2017 - 02:39 PM

LATEST UPDATE 6/10 Soundgarden 2 pack

VIyXnMc.jpg
Video Preview

GUITAR: Kassu

“Room A Thousand Years Wide”, a heavy, sludgy riff wedded to a lumbering rhythm that somehow feels slow and fast at the same time. Vocally, it’s relatively sparse—only a couple of minimal verses that segue into a refrain comprised of only three words: “Tomorrow begets tomorrow.” It traffics in the lyrical ambiguity that characterizes so much of the band’s music, with oblique references to “one who loved what love denied.” “Room A Thousand Years Wide” is what Soundgarden does best: Ambitious hard rock with the head of a music geek and the heart of a headbanger.

a5Bufqf.jpg
Video Preview

GUITAR/REDUCTIONS: Cheesecake Militia

VOCALSColonel 32dll

“Mind Riot”, which combines a good bass riff intro with guitars entering in turn with a fine effect, and when drums finally enter with an odd tempo, it all resolves with a really cool vibe going that is kind of bluesy and somewhat Eastern influenced.

#885 rcale

rcale
  • 247 posts

Posted June 10, 2017 - 03:08 PM

Brilliant. Thanks for these, sir. Great to see so much Soundgarden in the game now. Not so great is the catalyst.

#886 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,314 posts

Posted June 10, 2017 - 05:19 PM

thanks. yes the motivation is sad but I'm gaining an even greater appreciation for Chris' work than I already had.

#887 rezavakili

rezavakili
  • 277 posts

Posted June 10, 2017 - 07:31 PM

Thanks for all your hard work and all the cool customs you have provided us. I definitely have a greater appreciation for Chicago because of you.

#888 naginalJJ

naginalJJ
  • 629 posts

Posted June 10, 2017 - 07:45 PM

Thanks for all your hard work and all the cool customs you have provided us. I definitely have a greater appreciation for Chicago because of you.

This 100%. Chicago have some killer songs I probably would have never heard if not for your hard work and dedication to a band you love. This thread is one of the biggest influences for my Deftones discography project so thank you very much!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

#889 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,314 posts

Posted June 10, 2017 - 11:12 PM

This 100%. Chicago have some killer songs I probably would have never heard if not for your hard work and dedication to a band you love. This thread is one of the biggest influences for my Deftones discography project so thank you very much!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Thanks fellas  :blush:

#890 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,314 posts

Posted June 12, 2017 - 09:01 AM

RgEgmkt.png

LATEST UPDATE 6/12 Mastodon Monday - Crack the Skye

YCs3kKr.jpg
Video Preview

GUITAR: Ungrateful Dead

BASS: Gigakoops

The title track, "Crack The Skye", features vocals by Scott Kelly of NEUROSIS. "We heard Scott's voice all over that track," Dailor says. "It's really NEUROSIS-sounding and then when it became the title track, in particular vocally and lyrically it had a lot to do with Skye so it made it even more perfect that Scott would be doing the verses on it just because he is very familiar with that tremendous loss, suicide, stuff like that…"

#891 Bansheeflyer

Bansheeflyer

• 1,026 posts

Posted June 13, 2017 - 02:34 AM

Hell yeah one of my favorite Mastodon tracks. Hardly an opening as ominous as Crack the Skye. Thanks AJF!

Steam: Bansheeflyer PSN: Bansheeflya Xbox LIVE: Banshee Flyer
My Customs
My Works in Progress

#892 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,314 posts

Posted June 13, 2017 - 01:59 PM

Hell yeah one of my favorite Mastodon tracks. Hardly an opening as ominous as Crack the Skye. Thanks AJF!

You're very welcome. And now the Crack the Skye album is complete in all it's glory  :rock:

#893 MrBurpler

MrBurpler
  • 101 posts

Posted June 14, 2017 - 05:05 PM

And now the Crack the Skye album is complete in all it's glory  :rock:

Been waiting for this moment! thanks so much for this!

Customs Thread, Customs Song DBWork In Progress Thread, C3U Profile

If you see "MrBurpler" anywhere on the internet there is a 99% chance that it's me.

#894 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,314 posts

Posted June 16, 2017 - 09:21 AM

LATEST UPDATE 6/16 Frank Zappa - We Are Not Alone

kbBu56e.jpg
Video Preview

GUITARnsw1-6

5 LANE KEYS: MrBurpler

"We Are Not Alone" is an untypical instrumental piece included on the 1983 LP The Man From Utopia. Over a straight 4/4 beat, Frank Zappa wrote a simple and catchy saxophone melody (performed by Marty Krystall), followed by a variation on mallet percussion. The theme is played twice, without a guitar solo in between, which is highly uncharacteristic. 

#895 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,314 posts

Posted June 17, 2017 - 02:43 PM

LATEST UPDATE 6/17 Soundgarden 2 pack

k4o4cww.jpg
Video Preview

GUITAR/BASS/DRUMSCheesecake Militia

The actual Ty Cobb was a fantastic baseball player in the early 20th century, and purportedly had a terrible temper and was a huge racist piece of shit. According to the band, they just used “Ty Cobb” as place-holder of a symbol that everyone would know as a notorious piece of shit. It’s not really about baseball, the lyrics aren’t “I’m hitting/ fuck you all” it’s “hard-headed fuck you all.” Hey, at least he’s got a stubborn cardio-punk song to his name.

IWTkwGr.jpg
Video Preview

GUITAR/BASS/VOCALSColonel 32dll

Centered on Cornell's enunciated, melodic vocals atop the music written by Cameron and Thail, the song even goes so far to credit someone for "harmonic guidance": Fred Chalenor. The song thematically picks back up the thread of fierce suns and dissolution. "The wreck of you / is the death of you all."

#896 rcale

rcale
  • 247 posts

Posted June 17, 2017 - 05:26 PM

Oh man, thank you. I'd completely forgotten how much I love 'Limo Wreck'.

#897 RickfromPile

RickfromPile
  • 8 posts

Posted June 19, 2017 - 03:29 AM

limo wreck is amazing, how about 4th of July? such a tune 

#898 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,314 posts

Posted June 19, 2017 - 03:31 AM

limo wreck is amazing, how about 4th of July? such a tune 

11700819_1613902385562191_85686764681660

#899 Bansheeflyer

Bansheeflyer

• 1,026 posts

Posted June 19, 2017 - 07:27 AM

Sweeeeeeet. Thanks for Limo Wreck. Looking forward to 4th of July!

Steam: Bansheeflyer PSN: Bansheeflya Xbox LIVE: Banshee Flyer
My Customs
My Works in Progress

#900 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,314 posts

Posted June 19, 2017 - 10:42 AM

RgEgmkt.png

LATEST UPDATE 6/19 Mastodon Monday - The Ruiner

WKkFt7k.jpg
Video Preview

GUITAR/BASS: spiralshadow123

Brann Dailor: "The Ruiner" was written during the “Crack the Skye” sessions as well. That one and “Deathbound” were the two from those sessions that were the furthest developed songs that didn’t get used for “Crack the Skye” because they were just too heavy and too fast and crazy. “Crack the Skye” had taken on this whole other vibe so “Deathbound” got trapped in the studio. “The Ruiner” did not so we tracked it for this record. It’s a fast, crazy song. I wrote it on my Dictaphone just kind of humming the riffs. Bill’s got a riff in there as well. It’s just a classic, kind of heavy Mastodon song.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Genesis, Chicago, Prog, Classic Rock, Jazz, Metal, Pro drums, pro keys, Iced Earth, Frank Zappa

26 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 23 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (2), Bing (1)