AJFOne's Customs 6/17 - Slayer - Reborn

Chicago Prog Classic Rock Jazz Metal Iced Earth Frank Zappa Weird Al Mastodon Chris Cornell

• Please log in to reply
1682 replies to this topic

#1661 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,999 posts

Posted May 28, 2019 - 06:33 AM

chris-cornell-tribute-banner.png?width=5

LATEST UPDATE 5/28 - Soundgarden 2 pack

4PElEL7.jpg

Video Preview

GUITAR: nicholasp248

VOCALS: EchoOfMystery

“All Your Lies” is a straight up punk song. It has some good guitar work and vocals, with a fairly catchy chorus. It was covered by Metallica recently at the I Am The Highway: A Tribute To Chris Cornell celebration at The Forum outside of Los Angeles, CA on January 16th.

9u3gWCt.jpg

Video Preview

GUITAR: nicholasp248

“I Awake” is distinctly somber and unnerving all the way. Its introduction is pretty twisted and the riffs are too creepy and heavy, almost descriptive of a nightmare, or even worse. Chris Cornell wailing “I love you, I love you!” over the chainsaw guitars makes me think of some kind of dysfunctional relationship reaching its limit… with things getting really tense. It’s a great overlooked track with remarkable development of moods around a simple riff.

#1662 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,999 posts

Posted May 29, 2019 - 06:32 AM

LATEST UPDATE 5/29 - Soundgarden - Incessant Mace

scuWW6k.jpg

Video Preview

GUITAR: naginalJJ/grubextrapolate

“Incessant Mace” is a straight up blues staying on a single chord progression throughout but that doesn't stop it from being relentlessly catchy and allowing Matt Cameron to pull every drum fill out of his tool kit.

#1663 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,999 posts

Posted May 31, 2019 - 07:16 PM

LATEST UPDATE 5/31 - Soundgarden - Kyle Petty, Son of Richard

b2vFvZM.jpg

Video Preview

GUITAR: ghostbyob

“Kyle Petty, Son of Richard” was a b-side to the single "Fell on Black Days".  The subject of the song was Nascar driver Kyle Petty. “I was driving the Mello Yello car at the time, and that was a big deal,” Petty said. “To have Soundgarden do a song and put you in it, man, that was huge.”

#1664 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,999 posts

Posted June 1, 2019 - 06:27 PM

LATEST UPDATE 6/1 - Soundgarden - Down on the Upside 2 pack

EwjFhMG.jpg

Video Preview

GUITAR: DashRetro

Bruce Pavitt once likened grunge to “the sound and look of fresh money,” and truer words were never spoken; the Alternative Nation is full of Foreigners, playing secondhand, sugarcoated grunge-by-numbers. Such Bush-league copycats inspired Soundgarden to write a song called “Karaoke,”. The song feels a bit like an experimental cocktail combining 1 part fuzzed-out bass drudgery, 1 part rollicking Kiss era rock and a dash of distorted cacophony. It's book ended by BRE sections so you have to survive the intro but it's worth the trouble.

rAvKsJQ.jpg

Video Preview

GUITAR: Fbs13

"Tighter and Tighter" starts off with a heavy guitar riff and harmonics, and then goes into a wah-guitar solo. The bulk of the tune is a moderately paced track bluesy rock jam that builds and builds towards the epic conclusion.

#1665 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,999 posts

Posted June 2, 2019 - 07:18 AM

LATEST UPDATE 6/2 - Chris Cornell - Euphoria Mourning 2 pack

4iL1Dty.jpg

Video Preview

GUITAR: EchoOfMystery

KEYSEmotionalFlight

The R&B swagger and soulful vocals of “When I’m Down” suggest Harry Connick, Jr., getting his groove on at Lollapalooza. It's a beautiful haunting blues track that deserves a hell of a lot more attention.

UlJx81W.jpg

Video Preview

GUITAR: EchoOfMystery

"Steel Rain" perfectly captures agony and despair; it connects to your heart and makes you want to share in the song’s pain.

#1666 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,999 posts

Posted June 3, 2019 - 06:35 AM

LATEST UPDATE 6/3 - Temple of the Dog - Reach Down (Cornell month done!)

zVEwsWE.jpg

Video Preview

GUITARmrcoupdetat/Bansheeflyer

“Reach Down” starts with a doomy and droning electric guitar riff above slow rhythms through the verse sections. Giving this eleven minute track much of its mass the extended duo guitar lead by McCready and Gossard, while the predominant lyrical theme is “reach down and lift up the audience”. Mike McCready’s guitar solo takes off into a psychedelic stratosphere that recalls the explorations of Hendrix and the grime-spattered riffing of Mudhoney. McCready recalls, "That was my first lead on an album, and I was so excited. I'd been in a studio before, but never to record an album or anything. I did that in one take! I soloed through the whole thing and ended up with the headphones wrapped around my face. I was totally flushed. The guitar work in that track represents one of my proudest moments."

#1667 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,999 posts

Posted June 5, 2019 - 04:58 AM

#1668 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,999 posts

Posted June 5, 2019 - 04:58 AM

#1669 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,999 posts

Posted June 5, 2019 - 04:59 AM

#1670 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,999 posts

Posted June 5, 2019 - 05:00 AM

#1671 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,999 posts

Posted June 5, 2019 - 05:01 AM

Thank you BornGamerRob for your brilliant artwork for Cornell month and for making 16 videos of releases from last month. Thank you to all my contributors for another marathon month. I think I'm done with those. We shall continue with our regularly scheduled broadcasting next week.

#1672 Andy

Andy
  • 58 posts

Posted June 5, 2019 - 05:02 AM

Kudos! The rate at which you have released this project's custom is incredible :)

#1673 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,999 posts

Posted June 9, 2019 - 10:25 AM

LATEST UPDATE 6/9 - Kiss - Let Me Go, Rock 'N' Roll

5UskGD2.jpg

Video Preview

GUITARBattlePenguin

#1674 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,999 posts

Posted June 10, 2019 - 06:52 AM

LATEST UPDATE 6/10 - Metallica - Killing Time

Killing-Time2x-rb3con-visual.jpg

Video Preview

GUITAR: SteveHasAMustache

#1675 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,999 posts

Posted June 11, 2019 - 06:57 AM

LATEST UPDATE 6/11 - Fiona Apple - Across the Universe

Acrossthe-Universe-rb3con-visual.jpg

Video Preview

GUITAR: Oddbrother

VOCALS: BornGamerRob

STANDARD KEYSFujiSkunk

Recorded for the 1998 movie Pleasantville, Apple’s rendition of the Beatles’ “Across the Universe” is easily her best cover. The song takes on a placidity that suits the strange nuclear family at the heart of the film, with Fiona’s serene “jai guru deva om” chants almost serving as a balm. The Paul Thomas Anderson-directed video is also a treat: Apple walks peacefully through a riot that takes place late in the film, her calm at odds with all the chaos. “Nothing’s gonna change my world” indeed.

#1676 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,999 posts

Posted June 13, 2019 - 02:45 AM

LATEST UPDATE 6/12 - Frank Zappa - Bamboozled by Love

NPGz9Q2.jpg

Video Preview

GUITAR/BASS: ejthedj

#1677 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,999 posts

Posted June 13, 2019 - 09:49 AM

LATEST UPDATE 6/13 - Foo Fighters - Aurora

XXIUJNG.jpg

Video Preview

GUITARdr waffles

#1678 Jonztu

Jonztu
  • 172 posts

Posted June 13, 2019 - 08:56 PM

Hell yeah, Aurora!

#1679 rezavakili

rezavakili
  • 438 posts

Posted June 13, 2019 - 11:52 PM

You are killing it as usual. Thanks.

#1680 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,999 posts

Posted Yesterday

LATEST UPDATE 6/16 - Bruce Springsteen - Incident On 57th Street

zxyeum7.jpg

Video Preview

GUITAR/BASS/STANDARD KEYSyaniv297

There is something about Bruce Springsteen’s “Incident on 57th Street” that makes it ethereal. How you can pen such a profound and meaningful song in your early 20s, as Springsteen was when he released 1973’s The Wild, the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle, is nothing short of phenomenal. It’s that cinematic style of writing he engaged in so early on and let a story unfold that makes us feel like we are there, living it with the characters, Spanish Johnny, and Puerto Rican Jane.

The whole freaking song is a masterpiece. From the delicate piano in the opening bars, and the bending notes on that Telecaster, to the lyrics, music, imagery, and storytelling, all of it is nothing short of spectacular. And that solo to take the song out, absolutely incredible. If the song isn’t considered out of this world, it should.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chicago, Prog, Classic Rock, Jazz, Metal, Iced Earth, Frank Zappa, Weird Al, Mastodon, Chris Cornell

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users