AJFOne's Customs 6/14 - Soundgarden

Chicago Prog Classic Rock Jazz Metal Iced Earth Frank Zappa Weird Al Mastodon Chris Cornell

• Please log in to reply
1390 replies to this topic

#1341 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,725 posts

Posted April 22, 2018 - 07:07 AM

alpocalyptic-april-banner-v6.jpg

LATEST UPDATE 4/22 - Alpocalyptic April Day 18 - Melanie

Iyqn1UJ.jpg
Video Preview

GUITARkueller

PREVIEW VIDEO: MrPrezident

"Melanie" is a stalker's twisted love song to his neighbor Melanie. He falls in love with a girl he sees through his telescope and then becomes so obsessed with her that he goes through her garbage to learn more about her and tries to impress her by tattooing her name on his forehead. Once again, Al’s slightly morbid sense of humor comes shining through in the end, with the lovesick sap singing, “You wouldn’t listen when I promised to be true / I couldn’t stand it, so I jumped out from the sixteenth story window / Right above you.” The punchline…? “Now I may be dead, but I still love you.”

It's one of Al's few songs that might be rated PG-13 if it were a movie. Al added in an interview; "Sometimes I have an alternate verse to a song that I only sing to my friends".

#1342 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,725 posts

Posted April 23, 2018 - 07:03 AM

LATEST UPDATE 4/23 - Alpocalyptic April Day 19 - Cavity Search

pIsnqPc.jpg
Video Preview

GUITAR/BASSSeil

KEYSTheSheepQueen

"Cavity Search", a parody of U2's hit "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me" recounts the horror of having to go to the dentist. It features the sound of an actual dental drill. To enhance the dental theme of the song, Yankovic called in his actual dentist, who brought a real drill and a human tooth, which the two took turns drilling while recording to create a genuine sound effect.

#1343 Funk Meister Freud

Funk Meister Freud
  • 898 posts

Posted April 23, 2018 - 03:43 PM

A couple more wacky wonders of weirdness! Thanks!

Was Sir Funkenstein a laugh a minute joker prankster?

Not so much "laugh a minute" but me and my only brother had some great sibling fun....

Painted finger and toenails while he was asleep.... superglued his lips (also while asleep)..... Worked at the same warehouse and filled his brand new 1 week old car with packing peanuts all the way to the top of the dashboard, then shrink wrapped the entire body! :D  :rock:

But as you all can see, my humor is 'singular'!

#1344 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,725 posts

Posted April 23, 2018 - 03:46 PM

I Remember Lawrence :D

#1345 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,725 posts

Posted April 24, 2018 - 07:05 AM

LATEST UPDATE 4/24 - Alpocalyptic April Day 20 - Ricky

ahMBiDj.jpg
Video Preview

GUITARSeil

BASS: naginalJJ

VOCALS/PRO KEYS: maotico

STANDARD KEYSMrPrezident

"Ricky" is a duet with voice actress Tress MacNeille. It is a parody of the 1982 song "Mickey" by Toni Basil and a loving homage to I Love Lucy that finds a Cuban-accented Al crooning of both his wild desire and his eternal frustration with his daffy spouse. It’s a song whose affection for its source material comes through in every note but even in this cozy, nostalgic homage to our halcyon black and white past there’s a note of New Wave anti-consumer prickliness when MacNeille-as-Lucy reminds her hubby in one of the many meta lines dotting Al’s discography,  “Every day’s a rerun and the laughter’s always canned.” 

#1346 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,725 posts

Posted April 25, 2018 - 07:02 AM

LATEST UPDATE 4/25 - Alpocalyptic April Day 21 - Velvet Elvis

TVpOrbn.jpg
Video Preview

GUITARGreenPanda12

“Velvet Elvis,”a song that sounds just like The Police and tells of the narrator’s renewed sense of interest and purpose in life arriving in the form of one of those kitschy Velvet Elvis paintings. Al undoubtedly studied up on his Sting-isms on this track (right down to the premise, which evokes the kind of hyperbolic emotion of Police tracks like “Can’t Stand Losing You” and “Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic”), but credit must also go to his backing band, who perfectly capture the energy and chemistry of The Police, from the precise drum work of Stewart Copeland to the reggae-infused chords of Andy Summers.

#1347 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,725 posts

Posted April 26, 2018 - 08:54 AM

LATEST UPDATE 4/26 - Alpocalyptic April Day 22 - One of Those Days

iPPyNBj.jpg
Video Preview

GUITAR/VOCALSSeil

"One of Those Days" is a pretty underrated song detailing horrible things as if they were everyday annoyances. Each horrible thing escalates up to global annihilation while more mundane annoyances pop up at different times. The twinkling piano throughout certainly has a nice sound.

#1348 ws54

ws54
  • 805 posts

Posted April 26, 2018 - 10:39 AM

Thanks for all of these. Keep it up!

I sure hope Close But No Cigar is on your list. 

#1349 fusoyaff2

fusoyaff2
  • 5 posts

Posted April 26, 2018 - 01:44 PM

This is some truly amazing work. I saw Al 3 times on this tour and they were some of the best shows I've seen in my entire life! Hope to see some Fun Zone to close the month out.

What's with the weirdo closing on Midnight Star with the second bustline?

#1350 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,725 posts

Posted April 27, 2018 - 07:18 AM

LATEST UPDATE 4/27 - Alpocalyptic April Day 23 - Waffle King

lm9lcJS.jpg
Video Preview

VOCALSSeil

GUITAR/KEYS: Oddbrother

BASS: Cheesecake Militia

“Waffle King” is a tribute to a very specific era in Peter Gabriel’s career long after he stopped being a poster boy for Prog Rock theatricality and established himself as a solo artist to be reckoned with. It's a loving tribute to Gabriel’s mid-1980s music video smashes “Big Time” and “Sledge Hammer”, when he devoted himself to making big, cartoony pop songs.  The breakfast titan crooning “Waffle King” is full of himself, and, presumably, also the delicious waffles he’s peddling in song. The singer doesn’t just think making superior waffles makes him special: he seems to think it makes him superior to everyone else on earth. He doesn’t just want people to eat his tasty treats: he wants to be worshiped as an angry, waffle-making God. The Soup Nazi is a mellow hippie compared to this waffle-pimping sociopath. 

#1351 MrPrezident

MrPrezident

C3U Moderator

• 827 posts

Posted April 27, 2018 - 11:15 PM

Apologies for falling off the preview wagon.  I'll sort that out ASAP :)

Great effort by everyone as always.  Thanks for putting this together AJ :D

MY CUSTOMS -  Everything from ABBA to XTC

FORUM THREAD / WIP THREAD - Updated every Monday

THE SHOWDOWN - Join me & the Spindoctor and vote for your favourites

99dR1Vu.png

#1352 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,725 posts

Posted April 28, 2018 - 02:42 AM

Apologies for falling off the preview wagon.  I'll sort that out ASAP :)

Great effort by everyone as always.  Thanks for putting this together AJ :D

I have faith in my C3 commander in chief  :D

#1353 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,725 posts

Posted April 28, 2018 - 10:16 AM

LATEST UPDATE 4/28 - Alpocalyptic April Day 24 - Virus Alert

5cjtqNJ.jpg
Video Preview

VOCALSBassSinger313

GUITAR/BASS: Seil

"Virus Alert" is according to Al ,"Another original, talking about the dangers of what you may find in your inbox at work. And it's done sort of in the style of the band Sparks, particularly their mid-'70s work."

#1354 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 548 posts

Posted April 28, 2018 - 08:31 PM

You made this comment on the database entry for Waffle King...

Growing up with this song as I did I never knew the inspirations behind a lot of these style parodies. I just liked them and that was enough. Now that I'm older it all makes sense and I can appreciate them on a whole new level.

And I want to echo it. Now that the Alpocalypse is coming to an end, I thought I'd chime in and say I was always a very casual fan of Weird Al. I had two albums from the '90s and had listened to a smattering of his other works, but as novelty music I never really desired to listen to it regularly. I appreciated it, certainly, but only the parodies. Now that I'm older and have expanded my knowledge of music, I really am amazed by his stylistic parodies and mimicry. It's truly impressive, and this event has brought it to the forefront.

And privately you told me this...

I think once these tunes come out you'll be a fan of the unfamiliar Al :)

And you were right. While it's going to be difficult to jam them into my library, I am forcing myself to make some room this afternoon for Weird Al customs (7 songs so far... that's two whole slots on my Wii!). So kudos to you for organizing this month of off-the-wall customs and especially to your contributors for their many hours of labor from love.

#1 Ranked Wii Customs Player... because it's the Wii
"Like a madman laughin' at the rain" - Custom song releases
Freelancers wanted! - Works-in-progress
"One-Trick Pony" - Details of my contributions in the database!
In-Depth Eclectic Suggestions - Let's collaborate!
Packing Like a Pro - The Guide for a Legit Wii Library
Last.fm Profile - Let's be snobs together.

#1355 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,725 posts

Posted April 29, 2018 - 03:40 AM

Thanks man. As with anything I do here I love to bring attention to the obscure or underappreciated gems I've come across in my travels. I'm so glad my prophetic words came true and you found some new appreciation. I want to reiterate the thanks to everyone for chipping in. This monument to the weird one could not be built alone.

#1356 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,725 posts

Posted April 29, 2018 - 07:01 AM

LATEST UPDATE 4/29 - Alpocalyptic April Day 25 - Polka Your Eyes Out

HuErSHs.jpg
Video Preview

GUITAROnyxite

STANDARD KEYSBansheeflyer

"Polka Your Eyes Out" is the fifth polka medley by "Weird Al" Yankovic. It is included on his 1992 album, Off the Deep End. It was originally performed live in 1991 on the Dr. Demento show 20th anniversary TV special. Man, the ridiculousness of era really helps this one. You’ve got the tackiness of Motley Crue, the instantly-datedness of Vanilla Ice and the shameless bravado of Bel Biv Devoe: just a montage of the actual songs would be hilarious.

The following songs are contained in the medley:

"Cradle of Love" by Billy Idol
"Tom's Diner" by DNA featuring Suzanne Vega
"Love Shack" by The B-52's
"Pump Up the Jam" by Technotronic
"Losing My Religion" by R.E.M.
"Unbelievable" by EMF
"Do Me!" by Bell Biv DeVoe
"Enter Sandman" by Metallica
"The Humpty Dance" by Digital Underground
"Cherry Pie" by Warrant
"Miss You Much" by Janet Jackson
"I Touch Myself" by Divinyls
"Dr. Feelgood" by Mötley Crüe
"Ice Ice Baby" by Vanilla Ice

#1357 Mandrag

Mandrag
  • 177 posts

Posted April 29, 2018 - 07:57 AM

Thank you so much for the polka medley and all the other songs. I just don't want April to ever end, it's gonna be so sad to wake up in the morning in May...

#1358 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,725 posts

Posted April 29, 2018 - 05:09 PM

Thank you so much for the polka medley and all the other songs. I just don't want April to ever end, it's gonna be so sad to wake up in the morning in May...

Thank god it's ending. Cause I can't do anymore daily releases for awhile lest I flunk out of school and have to retire for good from authoring. But don't you worry I have a list of Al tunes I didn't have time for so someday when time allows there will be more to come.

#1359 Mandrag

Mandrag
  • 177 posts

Posted April 29, 2018 - 06:20 PM

Thank god it's ending. Cause I can't do anymore daily releases for awhile lest I flunk out of school and have to retire for good from authoring. But don't you worry I have a list of Al tunes I didn't have time for so someday when time allows there will be more to come.

Hehe, I fully understand this. Tbh this project was so ambitious I was almost expecting you to suffer the same fate as drummerockband half way or something. Glad you didn't, and it's awesome to have something to look forward to sometime in the future.

#1360 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,725 posts

Posted April 30, 2018 - 07:24 AM

LATEST UPDATE 4/30 - Alpocalyptic April Day 26 - The End is Nigh!

VKIk2wf.jpg
Video Preview

GUITARSeil

BASS/VOCALS: BassSinger313

STANDARD KEYSMrPrezident

"Good Enough for Now", a country music pastiche about how the singer's lover, who, while not the best, will do for now. The lyrics seems so sincere it's hard not to believe they were inspired by a real person.

CUtcVeo.jpg

Video Preview

BASS: Seil

Why Does This Always Happen to Me" is about the tale of a man who gets upset over minor issues in the middle of major tragedies. My favorite verse is about a breaking news report about an earthquake in Peru and how so many people are killed and buried alive and Al is upset because it interrupted The Simpson's. This is a great showcase of Al's creativity. The music is a style parody of Ben Folds Five and the piano is played by Ben Folds himself.

M0yYvx9.jpg

Video Preview

VOCALS: drummerockband

GUITAR: Oddbrother

BASS: Seil

STANDARD KEYS: Bansheeflyer

“The Biggest Ball of Twine of Minnesota”, which ends out UHF on a triumphant note, is the ultimate oddball album closer, a nearly seven-minute long story-song in the vein of singer-songwriter types like Harry Chapin that packs in so much wonderful, banal, wonderfully banal detail that it feels almost like a family road comedy movie on wax or a short story in song form rather than a mere ditty. Although ostensibly about the ball in Darwin, Minnesota, Yankovic takes artistic license with the statistics. What makes “The Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota” such an enduring piece of cornball Americana in addition to being a sly send-up of cornball Americana, is the enormous affection it has for the campy details of Middle-American life and for Middle American life itself. Sure, the pickled wieners that are constantly mentioned sound as stomach-churning as the pork-and-spam-and-winds-and-ghosts that make up Spam but they also sounds oddly irresistible. It’s one of my all-time favorite “Weird Al” Yankovic songs and the most appropriate way to conclude the Alpacolypse.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chicago, Prog, Classic Rock, Jazz, Metal, Iced Earth, Frank Zappa, Weird Al, Mastodon, Chris Cornell

6 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

yaniv297, Bing (2)