AJFOne's Customs 5/19 - Temple of the Dog - Times of Trouble

Chicago Prog Classic Rock Jazz Metal Iced Earth Frank Zappa Weird Al Mastodon Chris Cornell

• Please log in to reply
1379 replies to this topic

#1241 samjjones

samjjones
  • 1,417 posts
    NJ: The Home of Sinatra, Springsteen, and Bon Jovi

Posted February 21, 2018 - 01:53 AM

Also, I haven't said it enough, but this February "Amour Month" is 

FREAKING.

AWESOME!

Great work, AJFOne23 and friends.

#1242 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,715 posts

Posted February 21, 2018 - 02:13 AM

Also, I haven't said it enough, but this February "Amour Month" is 

FREAKING.

AWESOME!

Great work, AJFOne23 and friends.

unnamed-3.jpg

#1243 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,715 posts

Posted February 21, 2018 - 08:27 AM

amour-month-banner-candy-hearts.png

LATEST UPDATE 2/21 - AMOUR MONTH DAY #21 Silverchair 2 pack

HvTH4pQ.jpg
Video Preview

GUITAR/VOCALS: kueller

Not quite a grunge song, but still a definite rock song and the best of the type on the album, Without You sounds like a sum up of everything Silverchair has done up to this point. The chorus has just enough hook to pull you in, but doesn't sound overproduced or like they're trying too hard. After a typical verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus song structure, the band throws something else out to please the listener at the end of the song. There's a minute long instrumental outro that flat out rocks. The chord structure at the end really drives the song home. 

mlJVfzg.jpg

Video Preview

GUITARBattlePenguin

VOCALS: kueller

The song was written when Johns was suffering from severe depression among other things. In an interview with Kerrang! Magazine, Johns said that the song was "about not being able to establish a relationship with anyone, not being able to experience love outside of family". He also said that he "wanted a song that people could perceive as a love song, while the lyrics are actually very angry".

#1244 Funk Meister Freud

Funk Meister Freud
  • 888 posts

Posted February 21, 2018 - 07:26 PM

Geez....
Everytime I think..... 'you gotta be done kickin' my butt'....

:rock:  :D  :rock: 

Ain't got no skills as an author...

and I'm certainly not a mod,

I just bring good karma & cheap laughs....

mixed in with some of my 'odd'! :D

#1245 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,715 posts

Posted February 22, 2018 - 02:05 AM

Silverchair is such an underrated band. I loved them so much back in the day I tried to form a tribute band lol

#1246 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,715 posts

Posted February 22, 2018 - 11:30 AM

LATEST UPDATE 2/22 - AMOUR MONTH DAY #22 Motown 2 pack

scxTcZQ.jpg
Video Preview

GUITAR: bsbloom

VOCALS: EchoOfMystery

BASS: doa

STANDARD KEYS: MrPrezident

GUEST WRITE UP: Funk Meister Freud

There aren't many songs out there that by simply mentioning title are capable of bringing a smile to my face... this is definitely one of them. I can't put a finger on it...Is it that snazzy rhythm guitar intro, laying the 'funky' down with a vigor that simply oozes uplifting?...could be!

Maybe it's Stevie's vocalizations, full of joyous conviction,..is that the heartbeat of it all?...that's a very strong possibility!! 

Well, there's always that bombalicious, boogieful, fun loving 'Stevie Harmonica' that when blown, emits an electrifying surge of energy, lifting the spirit up a couple or four notches on the 'amazingly good vibe' scale.....Good gawd!...That's gotta be it !!!!

Whatever the reasons, surely the backing of bassist extraordinaire James Jamerson and the rest of the Funk Brothers crew round out a phenomenal and overall sound to this exhilarating musical arrangement. As much as Stevie Wonder's essence and energy permeate the song, it's hard to believe he himself didn't write it. That credit goes to a member of Berry Gordy's song writing team of 'Motown Hit Factory' writers by the name of Ron Miller along with the musical talents of Orlando Murden.  Not a hard or particularly challenging song to play for RB3, but it sure feels good doing it, don't it?!  :D

giVJnS8.jpg

Video Preview

GUITARspiralshadow123/DemonUnicorns

STANDARD KEYSEmotionalFlight

Anyone who's seen John Legend perform knows the 35-year-old has been covering the Smokey Robinson classic "Quiet Storm" in his concerts for years. Legend does such a great job of it that Robinson urged the singer to record the song himself. But Legend did one better. He teamed up with Robinson to record a duet of the classic '70s tune for Robinson's new album, Smokey & Friends. The result is a blended mix of silky smooth old school and new school soul that is beyond music to the ears. Legend says at the beginning of the track, "Bob Dylan called Smokey Robinson one of the greatest poets of our time. Smokey, it's an honor to sing this with you."

#1247 Funk Meister Freud

Funk Meister Freud
  • 888 posts

Posted February 22, 2018 - 04:15 PM

Kitty caught me downloading this delectable Double Shot of fine Motown spirits!  ;)

200w.gif

Well done, AJFOne23 & crew!....that Motown 'wish list' a few other members and myself share, is getting quite a good number of sizable dents over the last couple of months! Shout out goes to Nunchuck and Sy at Funhouse for their past work in whittling down that particular genre, as well! :cool:

:D  :rock:  

#1248 rcale

rcale
  • 360 posts

Posted February 22, 2018 - 06:45 PM

Wednesday is Wonderful.

#1249 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,715 posts

Posted February 22, 2018 - 07:25 PM

Wednesday is Wonderful.

Except it's Thursday but you're right Stevie was meant for Wednesday but shiznit happens. By the way I can't believe there is no John Legend in the game until now  :wth:

#1250 rcale

rcale
  • 360 posts

Posted February 22, 2018 - 07:31 PM

Fffffff. Thursday. Man. I really dont get enough sleep. Kids are the worst.

#1251 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,715 posts

Posted February 22, 2018 - 10:41 PM

I chose music over having kids long ago lol

#1252 rcale

rcale
  • 360 posts

Posted February 22, 2018 - 11:46 PM

Ha! Wise.

#1253 Funk Meister Freud

Funk Meister Freud
  • 888 posts

Posted February 23, 2018 - 06:16 AM

The real beauty lies in covertly working your grandkids with lots of sugar when your adult kids drop 'em off.

When it's time for mom and dad to come pick 'em up, you'll be satisfied in knowing your grandkids are administering payback. :P  :D   

#1254 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,715 posts

Posted February 23, 2018 - 08:03 AM

LATEST UPDATE 2/23 - AMOUR MONTH DAY #23 Chicago 4 pack

rIMZbL8.jpg
Video Preview

GUITARmrcoupdetat

"Thunder and Lightning" is the last classic sounding Chicago single before the arrival of David Foster and that typical 80's sound. It's a collaboration between Robert Lamm and drummer Danny Seraphine whose lyrics were inspired by lightning hitting their plane on tour.

r857fnF.jpg

Video Preview

GUITAR: nsw1-6

A beautiful ballad co-written and sung by Cetera and Lamm. This ballad features a twist with plenty of minor chords including the final ones which indicate a sad ending.

9pVKl1t.jpg
Video Preview

GUITAR: bsbloom

Reruns is a fun and energetic rocker with great lyrics.

xK70fpm.jpg

Video Preview

GUITARmrcoupdetat

Runaway was written by Jimmy Pankow and has a great soaring chorus and a fun outro guitar solo.

#1255 rezavakili

rezavakili
  • 377 posts

Posted February 24, 2018 - 12:55 AM

Chicago is back!!! Thanks a lot.

#1256 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,715 posts

Posted February 24, 2018 - 08:09 AM

LATEST UPDATE 2/24 - AMOUR MONTH DAY #24 Ladies Night 4 pack

7NHu6en.jpg
Video Preview

GUITAR/BASS: bsbloom

A great breakout record for Rickie Lee Jones, "Chuck E's in Love" presented a funky jazz blues feel that surrounds the melody which is set atop a fabulous groove that engages the listener from start to finish. The lyrics have a bit of L.A. music history to them, as the subject in the title is none other than Chuck E. Weiss, who, along with Jones and Tom Waits, was one of the guiding lights of Los Angeles rustic bop/jazz movement of the late '70s. The playful, romantic lyrics are heavily shaded with Jones' love and influence of the L.A. noir/beat attitude, and this is indeed one of the ingredients that made it unique and fresh. There is a lovely bridge that finds Jones' searching narrative accompanied only by her acoustic guitar before returning to the effortlessly catchy chorus, which allows the song to breathe effectively.

jVfC5bV.jpg

Video Preview

GUITAR: Sygenysis

GUEST WRITE UP: Funk Meister Freud

When AJFOne23 showed me the list of songs he and his crew were preparing for 'Amour Month', my eyes practically bugged out of their sockets in disbelief when I came across this one. This was a long lost friend from childhood and for the life of me, I don't know how it slipped thru the cracks. I absolutely cherished this tune as a kid, so I'd like to be the first to thank AJFOne23 and all involved for making it happen!  

Vancouver, B.C.'s very own 'Poppy Family' fronted by Susan Jacks at lead vocal, released this oldie but goodie in the year of 'The Summer of Love', good 'ol 1969. As the title track from their debut album, "Which Way You Goin' Billy?" did remarkably well, reaching #1 in Canada on the CANCON charts and doing just as favorably on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 at #2 a few months later. "Which Way You Goin Billy?" is a poignant and heartfelt statement of the misunderstanding of someone else's emotional alienation and an urgent plea from a lover who just can't let go.....but the odd twist is, it's all wrapped up in a 'Bubblegum Pop' sensibility. Heartbreaking as the lyrics are, it's beat and melody have a strange toe tapping appeal that actually works in sync with the subject matter. This could very well be credited to the fact that the husband of lead singer Susan Jacks is none other than songwriter Terry Jacks of "Seasons in the Sun" fame (a song which he later made famous as a solo artist). I didn't know of this until I dug into fact researching for this song, so another bonus for me! Terry is one of a handful of songwriters from that time period who had the uncanny ability to write "heartbreak material' and spin it so the melody has a catchy, sing along appeal. If there were a "Carpool Karaoke with James Corden" back then, he might be down for singing some of this. Enjoy this classically golden pop tune,...I know I will!

hPSO4Q4.jpg
Video Preview

VOCALS/GUITAR: BornGamerRob

"Caramel" is a latin-inspired great bossa nova tune with a tasteful horn arrangement. It was featured in the film The Truth about Cats and Dogs but I first heard it in the trailer for the 2004 film Closer and I've been in love with it ever since.

FQ1cfWs.jpg

Video Preview

GUITARspiralshadow123

VOCALS: BornGamerRob

Joss Stone recorded a cover of Nat King Cole's "L-O-V-E" for the soundtrack to a short film for Chanel's Coco Mademoiselle fragrance. It was also later included as a bonus track on the deluxe version of her third album Introducing Joss Stone as well as her 2011 compilation album The Best of Joss Stone 2003-2009.

#1257 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,715 posts

Posted February 25, 2018 - 08:12 AM

LATEST UPDATE 2/25 - AMOUR MONTH DAY #25 Yes 3 pack

Fw2376K.jpg
Video Preview

GUITAR: ghostbyob

DRUMS: MrBurpler

The world’s greatest progressive rock band takes on the Beatles with a 1969 update of the John Lennon, Paul McCartney composition “Every Little Thing.” Peter Banks even adds a lick or two from “Day Tripper.” The addition seems very appropriate, as Yes’ trippy version of “Every Little Thing” seems ready to almost fly off the rails at any second. Here, Banks shines in a way none of his successors could, with a bluesy, yet psychedelic storm coming from his guitar. Peter Banks’ flash is undeniable and fitting. Jon Anderson, meanwhile, provides an almost tender reading of “Every Little Thing,” which is propelled by an aggressive backbeat from Bill Bruford and the maestro, Chris Squire. While this is a great interpretation of a good song, it also points out the power of the group’s original compositions.

JY0cJBM.jpg

Video Preview

GUITAR/VOCALS: nsw1-6

A grandiose ballad from the first Yes album, "Sweetness" was also selected as the group's first ever single - an "absolutely ludicrous" idea, insists guitarist Pete Banks, and one that only exacerbated the group's belief that Atlantic didn't have a clue what the band was all about. "I presume the idea was to make Yes the next Bee Gees," he continued, before adding that, Jon Anderson aside, the rest of the band weren't even that keen on the song in the first place. Period reviews were no more encouraging - one English paper described the performance as "pretty, almost sugary, and unlikely to happen,” and the single was indeed a flop. However, Anderson's vocals are outstanding, as wistful and delicate as the lyric, and supported by what were already shaping up to be the trademark "classic Yes" harmonies. The band, too, are lushly understated, and "Sweetness" has since emerged among the very best of Yes' early recordings.

MbZL4Vt.jpg
Video Preview

GUITAR: ghostbyob

DRUMS: MrBurpler

"Something`s Coming", taken from Leonard Bernstein`s "West Side Story" musical, has a very good arrangement, with Bill Bruford playing some Jazz drums and the rest of the band playing heavy in some parts. It also has very good vocal harmonies, which became a "trademark" for the band.

#1258 MidnightRambler67

MidnightRambler67
  • 194 posts

Posted February 25, 2018 - 09:27 AM

Have not heard any of these Yes tracks , just listened to Sweetness   .....

gave me goosebumps    

So much thanks  :)

#1259 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,715 posts

Posted February 25, 2018 - 09:53 AM

Have not heard any of these Yes tracks , just listened to Sweetness   .....

gave me goosebumps    

So much thanks  :)

I first heard it featured in the film Buffalo 66. It also had Heart of the Sunrise and King Crimson's Moon child. Now that I think about it that was my first exposure to the prog gods.

#1260 rawsewage

rawsewage
  • 102 posts

Posted February 25, 2018 - 06:04 PM

I first heard it featured in the film Buffalo 66. It also had Heart of the Sunrise and King Crimson's Moon child. Now that I think about it that was my first exposure to the prog gods.

Mine too. Good movie to boot.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chicago, Prog, Classic Rock, Jazz, Metal, Iced Earth, Frank Zappa, Weird Al, Mastodon, Chris Cornell

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (3)