AJFOne's Customs 4/24 Mastodon Monday - Ghost of Karelia; Chicago Chronicles Finale - Liberation; Frank Zappa - The Little House I Used to Live In

Genesis Chicago Prog Classic Rock Jazz Metal Pro drums pro keys Iced Earth Frank Zappa

• Please log in to reply
831 replies to this topic

#641 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,255 posts

Posted December 18, 2016 - 05:28 AM

LATEST UPDATE 12/17 - Frank Zappa - He Used to Cut the Grass

xhUXWKz.jpg
Video Preview

GUITAR: nsw1-6

The guitar solo was extracted from a live recording and pasted over the loose 3/4 spacy vamp performed by bass, drums, and keyboards. The drumming is my favorite performance from Vinnie Colaiuta.
In the story, "He Used to Cut the Grass" is a transitional between "Outside Now" and "Packard Goose." Joe is now out of jail and finds the world pretty boring now that music has been made illegal. He drifts more and more into a semi-catatonic state, dreaming the guitar notes he cannot play anymore.

#642 LordRomanov

LordRomanov
  • 28 posts

Posted December 18, 2016 - 03:39 PM

Oh my god. He Used To Cut The Grass?!? This. Is. Tremendous. Thank you.

#643 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,255 posts

Posted December 18, 2016 - 06:02 PM

Oh my god. He Used To Cut The Grass?!? This. Is. Tremendous. Thank you.

You're welcome. We are going to take a break from Joe's Garage after this for NWS1-6's sanity. Those guitar solos are killer. I love the drumming on this tune. It's the definition of controlled chaos.

#644 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,255 posts

Posted December 22, 2016 - 08:42 PM

4251444662_6227fe7e41.jpg

#645 TheSheepQueen

TheSheepQueen
  • 383 posts

Posted December 22, 2016 - 08:56 PM

200-motels-frank-zappa.jpg

#646 rcale

rcale
  • 226 posts

Posted December 23, 2016 - 09:16 AM

A belated thankyouverymuch for 'Burning of the Midnight Lamp'. I've always loved this track.

#647 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,255 posts

Posted December 24, 2016 - 03:20 AM

LATEST UPDATE 12/23 - Frank Zappa - Don't Eat the Yellow Snow Suite

YCibnTy.jpg
Video Preview

GUITAR/BASS: nsw1-6

5 LANE KEYSMrBurpler

"Don't Eat the Yellow Snow" is both the title of a suite and of its first part. The suite of four songs (which also include "Nanook Rubs It," "St. Alfonzo's Pancake Breakfast," and "Father O'Blivion") appeared on the 1974 LP Apostrophe. 

The suite is a loose collection of musically independent songs, a technique Frank Zappa had already used in 1970-1971 for "The Groupie Routine" and the undocumented "Divan." One must understand the implications of the first line in "Don't Eat the Yellow Snow": "Dreamed I was an Eskimo." This is all a dream. It doesn't need to make sense -- and it doesn't. That's a clever way to tie together unrelated tunes. So we are in the North. An Eskimo boy named Nanook (Nanook of the North was the title of the 1922 Robert J. Flaherty documentary that introduced Inuits to the general public) wants to go to a show. His mother urges him to "Watch out where the huskies go/And don't you eat that yellow snow." 

Nanook leaves his igloo only to find a fur trapper clubbing his favorite baby seal with a snow shoe. He picks up some of the yellow snow (snow soiled by dog urine) and rubs it into the eyes of the evil man, rendering him blind. "Trying to figure out what he's going to do/About his deflicted [sic] eyes," the trapper remembers an old legend which says that in such circumstances one must go to "the parish of Saint Alfonzo."
This song is a Zappa-fied blues in 6/4, a simple motif over which Zappa half-sings and narrates the story. Many musical quirks surface here and there to illustrate the story. Reaching the last line (the Saint Alfonzo reference), the piece segues into the demented xylophone introduction to "St. Alfonzo's Pancake Breakfast." 

Remember this is all a dream: you suddenly leave Nanook and his injured fur trapper to leap to the parish of St. Alfonzo where a fund-raising pancake breakfast is taking place. Attendants include a suppressed masochistic woman ("Why don't you treat me mean?/Hurt me").
This part opens with a frantic xylophone solo (go to the end of the track "Father O'Blivion" to hear one of Ruth Underwood's aborted attempts at getting it right). The song itself is in 4/4 but features complex time changes and quirky phrasing. There is a lot happening during these two minutes -- it gives the impression of a crowded and animated party. As you are invited to "Get on your feet an' do the funky Alfonzo!" the piece segues into "Father O'Blivion" and the music shifts into double time.

As you "do the funky Alfonzo," you are told the story of Father O'Blivion (and once again, remember this is all a dream!). He was given a hand job by a leprechaun the night before the pancake breakfast fundraiser. It turns him into a sex fanatic or something like that, as the song shifts from a fast-paced rock to a sunny Latin fiesta. The last verse, "Good morning, your Highness/Ooo-ooo-ooo/I brought you your snow shoe," is an intentionally lame attempt at turning the suite on itself and locking it in place by referring to the first part of the suite.
On the studio version, the piece fades out at this point.

#648 TheSheepQueen

TheSheepQueen
  • 383 posts

Posted December 24, 2016 - 09:51 AM

My second favorite piece from Zappa, this tune is truly a wonder of music, thanks a lot :DDD

#649 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,255 posts

Posted December 24, 2016 - 06:50 PM

My second favorite piece from Zappa, this tune is truly a wonder of music, thanks a lot :DDD

You're welcome. This one took longer than I anticipated. The amount of vocals and the mood changes slowed down my routine but I think it came out pretty good. It's his most festive tune so I had to get it done for Christmas :)

frank-zappa.jpg

#650 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,255 posts

Posted December 25, 2016 - 09:23 AM

LATEST UPDATE 12/25 - Merry Christmas!: Chicago 19 pack

Chicago19_SMALL.jpg

Here is my pack for Chicago 19 released in 1988. Credits listed below. 

Also thanks to my friend Masayuki Funatsu for creating a great image for this pack.

I8B1hcG.jpg
Video Preview

GUITAR: StackOverflow0x

5 LANE KEYSMrBurpler

"I Don't Wanna Live Without Your Love" is a hit song written by Diane Warren with Bill Champlin singing lead vocals. The first single released from that album, it reached number three on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart.

ZUzL9m1.jpg
Video Preview

GUITAR: StackOverflow0x

5 LANE KEYSMrBurpler

Diane Warren had written Chicago's 1988 number three pop single "I Don't Want to Live Without Your Love." The band's management wanted to tap Warren for more hit songs. The Warren ballad "Look Away" was gleamed from a situation that one of the songwriter's friends was involved in. One day when Warren was visiting her at her office, her friend's ex-husband came by. The friend told him that she'd met someone and they were planning a wedding. Warren felt that the ex wanted to get back together. "Look Away" featured Bill Champlin on lead vocals and continued to de-emphasize the band's brass section. The strategy proved successful with the million-selling "Look Away" staying at number one pop for two weeks and going to number one adult contemporary in late 1988.

#651 Mandrag

Mandrag
  • 119 posts

Posted December 25, 2016 - 11:46 AM

Wow, you've got some epic ballads here. Thanks alot for the hard work, gonna play these immediately!

#652 Epietro

Epietro
  • 140 posts

Posted December 25, 2016 - 01:37 PM

Thank you SO much for Look Away. My wife has been hoping for this song specifically for a looooong time! Very much appreciated.

#653 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,255 posts

Posted December 25, 2016 - 05:49 PM

I updated the song ID for "I Don't Wanna Live Without Your Love" so let me know if it works.

#654 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,255 posts

Posted December 26, 2016 - 08:23 PM

STEVIE_RB3.png

#655 TheSheepQueen

TheSheepQueen
  • 383 posts

Posted December 26, 2016 - 09:16 PM

W e l l    I   d i d    n o t    s e e   t h a t    c o m i n g

Jokes apart, this is bringing some hype up

#656 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,255 posts

Posted December 27, 2016 - 02:22 AM

sun-exposure.jpg

#657 CmdrXym

CmdrXym
  • 193 posts

Posted December 27, 2016 - 02:32 AM

Nice teaser there, Sunshine.

#658 Funk Meister Freud

Funk Meister Freud
  • 474 posts

Posted December 27, 2016 - 03:48 AM

Oh Man!  AJFOne23 doing Stevie Wonder?!?

How could so much love be inside of you?

Ya got me standing on the frontline!

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!! :D

You may think the stuff I bring is 'cheesy' but ask yourself this......is it american or is it brie?

#659 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,255 posts

Posted December 27, 2016 - 04:07 AM

Oh Man!  AJFOne23 doing Stevie Wonder?!?

How could so much love be inside of you?

Ya got me standing on the frontline!

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!! :D

Love has joined us  :swoon:

#660 Funk Meister Freud

Funk Meister Freud
  • 474 posts

Posted December 27, 2016 - 04:24 AM

Love has joined us  :swoon:

LOL!  Yeah, super excited beyond belief...btw, THANK YOU for the latest Chicago offerings my friend!

You may think the stuff I bring is 'cheesy' but ask yourself this......is it american or is it brie?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Genesis, Chicago, Prog, Classic Rock, Jazz, Metal, Pro drums, pro keys, Iced Earth, Frank Zappa

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)