[How-To] Playing Customs on PS3

• Please log in to reply
1178 replies to this topic

#1161 TamiJo

TamiJo
  • 8 posts

Posted June 16, 2020 - 03:38 PM

Step 1: Delete all of the converted files you now have in "All songs".

Step 2: Put songs.dta in "Merged Songs" folder.
Step 3: Put all of the xBox song files into the "Songs to Merge" folder.
Step 4: Open converter, make it point to "Songs to Merge" for where to get the songs from.

This is how I went about it, and at this point "Merge Songs" was no longer greyed out for me. Is this how you have done it?

#1162 Alternity

Alternity
  • 1,191 posts

Posted June 16, 2020 - 09:27 PM

The thing that the merging song option needs to not be greyed out is the dta file.

I'm not really active in the RB scene anymore, but it would be nice if the next C3 CON Tools update would place an empty songs.dta file in that folder in the event that there is none instead of greying out that option and having to do it manually. This behavior is more confusing than anything for new commers.

#1163 xoxidine

xoxidine
  • 24 posts

Posted June 23, 2020 - 03:39 AM

Before this, I had 351 songs.

I copied the 2,016 folders and songs.dta file (now 4,925 KB) and put them in the "/dev_hdd0/game/BLUS30463/USRDIR/HMX0756/songs" folder on my PS3.

I rebooted and loaded the game, still 351 songs only now it gets stuck here there https://photos.app.g...JZRvBzQjTrrXD49

#1164 Shroud

Shroud
  • 477 posts

Posted June 23, 2020 - 06:02 AM

Interesting... In my case that kind of loading message always says loading 4/4, no matter how many customs are there. I thought it says the number of folders being scanned, not the number of songs.

Anyway, if it gets stuck while loading, you probably have an error in songs.dta, but it's not going to be pretty to find out among 2000 songs. Although the fact that it still says 351 might suggest the error is where the 352th custom begins in the dta. Try to see if there is some missing opening bracket at that point.

#1165 Alternity

Alternity
  • 1,191 posts

Posted June 23, 2020 - 09:16 PM

The most efficient way to find the problematic song(s) is the half method. Try one half of your dta file, if it works, you know that the problem is in the other half, so try the half of that other half and repeat the process untill the problematic dta file is small enough to figure out the problem.

I never advice to add hundreads (or thousands) of songs at once, because if there is a problem of that sort, it is very time consuming to find it.

#1166 xoxidine

xoxidine
  • 24 posts

Posted June 24, 2020 - 12:52 AM

@Shroud, I had purchased a lot of DLC back in the day (a lot of which doesn't work now unfortunately) so maybe that's why the number is so high.

!Alternity, so just merge less songs and give it a whirl? I guess I wasn't sure if the load count would change.

Also, the old video for ConTools mentioned making packs to assist with loading? Is that a thing still? Once the songs are working, I have a few other questions.

#1167 Alternity

Alternity
  • 1,191 posts

Posted June 24, 2020 - 04:50 PM

Yeah, I would personally do a max of 50, that is manageable if there's an issue.

The number at the top is the number of dta files you have, so that number will not grow with the number of customs because they are all merged into the same pack, it will grow if you add more DLC and whatnot, pro guitar upgrades will also make this number grow because they use their own dta files. When it freezes like that it is because the current dta file it's reading has an issue of some sort.

The packs mention is only for xbox, on PS3 we already merge all of our customs in one single pack (specifically the "RB2 Free Pack 01"), so even if you have 3000 custom songs, it will load one dta file for them.

#1168 xoxidine

xoxidine
  • 24 posts

Posted June 24, 2020 - 11:02 PM

OK, so I put 805 on there this time (806 files/folders including songs.dta), deleted everything in the songs folder on the PS3, copied over the new data just to be safe, the system loads just fine and takes me to the song list, but it does not show any of my new songs. Example, it shows only a handful of NIN songs, when I added about 42. It doesn't look like it loaded any new songs.

#1169 Alternity

Alternity
  • 1,191 posts

Posted June 24, 2020 - 11:10 PM

This could also be a dta file problem. Whenever RB3 loads a dta file, if there's a problem with any entry in the file it will stop loading that file at the last good entry in reading order (or freeze, depending on the issue, not sure what causes which).

If you want to get your hands dirty, you can open a dta file with a text editor and search for the issue, it could be as simple as a missing bracket, so it's really not easy to eyeball it.

#1170 xoxidine

xoxidine
  • 24 posts

Posted June 26, 2020 - 11:00 PM

The songs.dta file is 100,724 lines long... I'll try again and cut the list in half.

If I knew what language this was, I could have a code formatter try and identify what's wrong.

#1171 Alternity

Alternity
  • 1,191 posts

Posted June 27, 2020 - 02:22 AM

It is Harmonix's home language, we don't really have a name for it, I just call it dta. They use it for pretty much all their games.

#1172 FujiSkunk

FujiSkunk
  • 1,018 posts

Posted June 27, 2020 - 06:01 AM

It's XML-ish, or maybe more accurately, JSON-ish, but it's not really either one.  Like Alternity said, it's its own thing, but it does have a syntax that someone could write a parser for if they were so inclined.  Like XML and JSON, DTA files are built on nested key-value sets, but sometimes a given set of parentheses doesn't hold a key and its values, but rather a collection of values for a previously defined key.  There's no way to know without the context of the surrounding file, which is what makes DTA its own special beast.

Having said that, the simplest parser could at least make sure every opening parenthesis has a closing partner, and that could be enough to find what is breaking your customs.

#1173 Shroud

Shroud
  • 477 posts

Posted June 27, 2020 - 06:24 AM

Do you have an example of a specific custom with its own broken DTA? Because I still have to find any. The individual DTA file in each CON is generated when building in Magma. The only way I can think of a broken DTA within a CON, is if the authors used C3 CON Tools DTA editor to apply some metadata changes after building, instead of rebuilding in Magma.

I'm saying this because every time I had a DTA problem, it was only on the merged songs.dta rather than the original individual DTA of one custom, and it was always my fault because I often change metadata like instruments difficulty or track volumes, and introduce random errors. I am also open to the possibility that the Tools themselves might occasionally break something while merging or when removing songs.

Because of this, I prefer to keep a couple of backups of songs.dta from when everything worked, and if something goes wrong I just scrap the latest songs.dta and go back to the old, then merge again (you don't have to worry about the converted songs folders, they will be overwritten). This is much faster than even trying to figure out the culprit by recursively halfing.

#1174 Alternity

Alternity
  • 1,191 posts

Posted June 27, 2020 - 12:48 PM

Yeah, once you get things working keeping a dta file backup is defenetly good practice.

#1175 xoxidine

xoxidine
  • 24 posts

Posted June 29, 2020 - 05:13 PM

I did only about 300 songs and it worked. The last few comments have been really helpful and insightful.

I'm not really curious how hard it would be to build a code parser using that would work in Notepad++ and I cannot find the comment, but someone mentioned a fix for broken DLC. That'll be a separate research project.

#1176 Shroud

Shroud
  • 477 posts

Posted June 29, 2020 - 09:36 PM

This is a very long long shot...

We already have a parser, but it's hidden in C3 CON Tools and cannot be used directly. It is used by Setlist Manager and Quick Pack Editor. It is not really meant as a validator for DTA files, it will not tell you what is wrong with your DTA, but in some cases it may accidentally give you a hint.

To use it, open Setlist Manager, create an empty RB3/PS3 setlist, and drag-and-drop your DTA into it. A perfectly fine DTA will display songs in order by Artist.

Here are a few things I found by trying randomly:

- if a custom is missing the first "(", the setlist manager will show that custom first in the list

- if a custom has one or more extra ")", the setlist manager with first show all the custom which occur after the bad custom in the DTA

- if a custom has more "(" than ")" the setlist manager just shows all the correct customs before the bad custom

A couple of other possible errors might be visible after exporting to CSV, but make sure you select to export "everything":

- if a song is missing the ID, it will show up "0" in the "Song ID" column of the CSV

- if a song has missing duration, it will show up "0:00" in the "Duration" column of the CSV

- if a song has a bad path to the midi file, you can see it in the "File Path" column of the CSV (it should be always songs/filename/filename)

It's not much, but maybe in some cases it can give a quick hint.

#1177 RamNova

RamNova
  • 2 posts

Posted July 2, 2020 - 03:51 AM

How to put song updates for PS3?

Do I just need to copy the output song, and no need to update the songs.dta?

*for those first timers who will do these custom songs, I suggest to do it by batch.

In my case, I downloaded all the songs I wanted to add, then split it into 50 songs per batch.

It is easier to troubleshoot which songs might cause troubles.

#1178 Shroud

Shroud
  • 477 posts

Posted July 2, 2020 - 05:04 AM

How to put song updates for PS3?
Do I just need to copy the output song, and no need to update the songs.dta?

Depends on the update.

If the author has only fixed/changed some instruments chart, then you need to only copy the folder files, or maybe even just the midi.

If the author has added missing instruments or harmonies, or updated metadata (such as instruments difficulty ratings) then you also need to update the DTA file.

#1179 Kivic

Kivic
  • 3 posts

Posted Yesterday

If you didn't had the RB2 pack before; create an empty songs.dta file in the "Merged Songs" folder. If you did had the RB2 pack just copy the songs.dta from the pack.

Alternatively (if you didn't had the RB2 pack) you can convert a song and then place it in the "Merged Songs" folder.

I love you man

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users