[How-To] Playing Customs on PS3

• Please log in to reply
1115 replies to this topic

#1101 Spike1958

Spike1958
  • 12 posts

Posted October 3, 2019 - 03:09 AM

Thanks. I guess I finally held the chicken in the proper hand, because I finally got HEN to load.

So I installed one of the file managers and started looking at the PS3 file structure. game/BLUS30463/USDIR/ structure was there, but there were a whole bunch of HMX#### folders, including HMX0756/songs, which we were supposed to have to create. This file had a songs.dta file and a bunch of sub folders.

So do we have to add the customs into this folder? What happens to the dta file? If I overwrite it, it will probably only point to the new song folder I copied. And while I d/l a bunch of songs, when the CON Tool did its thing, it created seperate folders for each song, along with 1 dta for each song.

I guess there is an option I missed with the tool to have them all plopped into the same folder and create one big dta?

thanks again

#1102 Spike1958

Spike1958
  • 12 posts

Posted October 3, 2019 - 03:12 AM

Ahh, I see now the option to merge them all. now just to figure out what to do about the existing songs in the 0756 folder

#1103 Spike1958

Spike1958
  • 12 posts

Posted October 3, 2019 - 03:31 AM

Thanks in advance again.

I saw the help note on the CON TOOL about copying over the dta file from the PS3 and merging it with the customs.

However, the Merge Songs and Manage PAck DTA file options are both greyed out.

I guess I will d/l the CON Tools pkg again and see if that helps

thanks

#1104 Spike1958

Spike1958
  • 12 posts

Posted October 3, 2019 - 03:41 AM

OK, searching for the problem led me to earlier in this thread. I guess you have to have a dta file in the merged songs folder to start with. So we will try that.

thanks for the bother

#1105 Alternity

Alternity
  • 1,033 posts

Posted October 3, 2019 - 03:46 AM

Yes, if you take that dta file and merge it with your custom songs you will keep all songs. Make sure to keep a backup of the original in case something happens. Call it songs.dta.old or something and leave it in your HMX0756 folder.

#1106 Shroud

Shroud
  • 192 posts

Posted October 3, 2019 - 05:32 AM

In theory, if you use type 3 encryption when converting Xbox CON files to PS3 format, you shouldn't even need to activate HAN/HEN as this will produce a "free" edat file, eliminating the need to use rap files and whatnot, and even HAN/HEN, all you need is the initial modding of the console really

Alternity is right, definitely use Type3 encryption in C3 CON Tools when converting customs to PS3. You won't need to activate HEN at all when playing RB3 and your DLC will still work together with customs.

The only time I need to enable HEN is when I want to copy more customs to the PS3, because I need a file manager for that and they are all homebrew.

#1107 Spike1958

Spike1958
  • 12 posts

Posted October 5, 2019 - 03:42 AM

Hello again. OK, so I got the custom songs working on my PS3 phatboy, except my previous DLC was not showing up. However the concept that it worked was proven, good enough for me. I only use my PS3 for Gran Tourismo and RBTB. All the RB3 songs plus all my DLC, Greenday, Lego, RB1, RB2 are available under my RB4 system on my PS4. I really don't want to loose being able to play as The Beatles, so I put my old HDD back into phatty, started it up, happy as a clam, no issues, all DLC there.

So I went out and got another PS3 slimjim, loaded it up, restored from my previous backup from phatty. It did not entirely like that, but RB3 worked, I went online and it updated it to 1.05. So I put HFW4.85 on, no issue. Loaded HEN, installed the packages for one of the file managers, recreated my customs as I found some other ones to play. Copied them all over. RB3 plays, but no customs. Now I did have to create the HMX0756/SONGS directory as it was not there. This copy of RB3 does not have the Free pack. So after some searching, I installed PSNpatch and the RAP file from the con tools dir. That went ok, reloaded the customs, but still nothing shows up. How do I know that the RAP install worked? IS there any other work around. I checked the RB Music store and it is no longer available. Can I copy over whatever files I might need directly from the backup I made on the other system?

thanks in advance again

#1108 Alternity

Alternity
  • 1,033 posts

Posted October 5, 2019 - 03:47 AM

Songs not showing up has to do with the location of the dta file. The dta file could be in the folder alone and they would show up in the list, they wouldn't load obviously though. So yeah, I'd triple check to make sure everything is at the right location.

#1109 Shroud

Shroud
  • 192 posts

Posted October 5, 2019 - 06:02 AM

I second the latest suggestion: double check the location of songs.dta and the spelling of files and folders (not sure if capitalization matters, but better stick with the guide).

Also double check the content of songs.dta in case you have been copying the wrong one or an empty one. To my knowledge, if songs.dta has a format error somewhere, all customs beyond the error won't load, so check you don't have an error already in the first.

By the way, I don't have the 20-songs free pack either, but I never had to use PSNpatch or install RAP when using HEN.

#1110 Spike1958

Spike1958
  • 12 posts

Posted October 5, 2019 - 12:12 PM

OK, I will double check about caps. I created an empty songs.dta file and had con tools create all the entries from the conversion and then a merge.

Good to know about not needing the free pack.

#1111 Spike1958

Spike1958
  • 12 posts

Posted October 5, 2019 - 03:13 PM

Thanks guys. Double check the songs.dta file, all looked good. Went into the PS3 file system and found I had named everything correctly, except the songs folder was SONGS, not songs. Renamed that and we were good to go.

Again many thanks to everyone who has made customs and the tools required.

Now to find the authoring tools and get to work on... Tubular Bells

#1112 RaymondRunner

RaymondRunner
  • 3 posts

Posted October 8, 2019 - 07:32 PM

there are two custom's, that i believe, froze my ps3. fortunately, i could recognize them and separated it to make the test. and... i was right. the thing is i dont know exactly the one who is causing the system to freeze but the name of the two is "TDGTimeDying" and "TMSGiveMe_rb3con".

#1113 Spike1958

Spike1958
  • 12 posts

Posted October 12, 2019 - 09:14 PM

So everything is running great. Actually took a leap of faith that just having HFW on the PS3 would not cause any problems logging into PSN, and it did not. Redownloaded all my DLC and RB1,2,Lego,Green Day,AC/DC exports so everything is now like it was with the addition of all the customs. Now if I could figure out a way to transfer all my band data over.

Now this is probably the wrong thread to ask. But I noticed that when I loaded the customs, even though the song count was in the hundreds, because there was only the one song.dta file, RB3 took no time getting them loaded. After adding back in all the  DLC and the exports, the load time and count has gone up. I guess this is because there are now loads of separate song folders and multiple song.dta files that the system now has to look at.

Is it possible to move all the song folders into the HMX0756 folder and combine all the song.dta files with the one created for the customs? This would have to be done by only copying the song.dta files over to a pc and using the CON Tools to merge them. I don't want to have to copy all the song folders to a USB stick and then back again. Can CON Tools merge song.dat without having the actual folders containing the song data available?

Or is this much more trouble than it is worth. It's not like it takes a long time for the loading to occuer.

thanks again

#1114 Wilde

Wilde
  • 1 posts

Posted October 12, 2019 - 09:21 PM

I'm having a hard time understanding where each file should be copied to - I have created the subdirectory /HMX0756/songs. I then went ahead and converted a song from Xbox to PS3 using the C3 conversation tool, which created a folder named "Nine Inch Nails - Somewhat Damaged"

Within the Nine Inch Nails - Somewhat Damaged folder are two items, a folder named "somewhatdamaged" and a file named "songs.dta".

Do I just directly copy both somewhatdamaged and songs.dta into /HMX0756/songs? I did that and the songs didn't show up in-game while reviewing the track list. I'm on the current version of Rock Band 3 too.

#1115 Alternity

Alternity
  • 1,033 posts

Posted October 12, 2019 - 09:47 PM

Not really. Every .mid.edat file is encrypted to be used in their specific HMX/UGC folder. If you try to load these files in any other folder they will not work. The process you'd have to go through to make that work is not worth it.

#1116 Spike1958

Spike1958
  • 12 posts

Posted October 12, 2019 - 11:12 PM

Not really. Every .mid.edat file is encrypted to be used in their specific HMX/UGC folder. If you try to load these files in any other folder they will not work. The process you'd have to go through to make that work is not worth it.

Ahh, OK. Thanks for that information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users