[How-To] Playing Customs on PS3

• Please log in to reply
1115 replies to this topic

#1061 Shroud

Shroud
  • 204 posts

Posted May 7, 2019 - 07:12 AM

The problem was that the game couldn't unlock the midi file for use because there was no way to install the rap file. The song would show up in the songlist (because the game can read dta file no matter what) but once you select it it would skip the song with a popup.

Does the rap file has anything to do with the encryption type being used when converting customs to PS3 format using C3 CON Tools?

I was wondering that, because there is at least one person who is playing customs after merely FTPing them into the correct folder, but without having installed the rap file... and if I understand correctly the Type 3 encryption of the CON Tools may be DRM-free (because HAN users report that Type 3 -encrypted customs still work while HAN is not activated).

#1062 Alternity

Alternity
  • 1,036 posts

Posted May 7, 2019 - 06:59 PM

All I know is that different encryption types uses different softwares to encrypt the midi file. I would guess the rap file (and the k-license from the klic.txt file) is used for that process, but I'm not too sure how type 3 works compared to the others.

#1063 xoxidine

xoxidine
  • 7 posts

Posted June 8, 2019 - 12:51 AM

Is this still possible? Some of the links on the first post of this topic are dead.

#1064 Shroud

Shroud
  • 204 posts

Posted June 9, 2019 - 06:54 AM

Is this still possible? Some of the links on the first post of this topic are dead.

Things have actually got better recently. Previously you needed an old enough model of PS3 to make it jailbroken. A couple of  months ago  they released a new hack called HEN which allows to run homebrew software on every model of PS3, even the previously considered 'unhackable' superslims.

I think the thread is a bit misleading nowadays because a newcomer obviously starts reading at the first post which is outdated, but only the original poster can change that.

I was planning to post a thread with my own experience using HEN, if you can wait another week or so. 

In the meantime just make sure you do NOT UPDATE your PS3 beyond 4.84 if a newer firmware comes out.

#1065 TrojanNemo

TrojanNemo

The Programmer

• 4,970 posts

Posted June 9, 2019 - 04:06 PM

Post the new update here and I can edit the original post.

#1066 xoxidine

xoxidine
  • 7 posts

Posted June 10, 2019 - 02:22 AM

I can absolutely wait. There are songs I've been dying to play on RockBand. Basically everything by Muse. I'll lean how to make songs if i have to.

if you can wait another week or so. 

#1067 Shroud

Shroud
  • 204 posts

Posted June 11, 2019 - 08:05 PM

How to play customs on PS3 using the HEN exploit method

DISCLAIMER AND BACKGROUND INFORMATION:

The HEN ("homebrew enabler") method was created by developers at www.psx-place.com primarily as a method to run homebrew applications on late Slim and SuperSlim PS3 consoles, which were previously considered "unhackable". Nevertheless the method presumably works on every PS3 model. I have personally used it on my FAT PS3 instead of the more common and powerful CFW ("custom firmware") method, mainly because I wanted to avoid the risk of "bricking" my PS3. Everything went smoothly for me and took less than one hour (most of which was spent watching stuff getting downloaded or installed), but I can't promise it will work for everyone! Before you attempt at doing anything hacky on your PS3, make sure you read the latest instructions at the following link, and understand the possible risks involved in using these exploits: you are the sole responsible of what happens to your own PS3.

https://www.psx-plac...ne-guide.24369/

The following instructions are based on the latest HEN version 2.2.2 at the time of this writing, but HEN is still being improved and new versions will be released afterwards. This means that some details in this post may become outdated. Always check the latest information at www.psx-place.com!

PREREQUISITES:

- You must have OFW ("original firmware") 4.84 installed to your PS3.
- You must have at least one PSN account and have your PS3 activated for it (it is also recommended to have a secondary, throwaway PSN account for this purpose)

INSTRUCTIONS (short summary):

- Install HFW ("hybrid firmware") 4.84 from the Recovery Mode.
- Install HEN.
- Install a File Manager of your choice.
- Convert customs to PS3.
- Copy customs to PS3.

INSTRUCTIONS (step-by-step details):

- Install HEN.

- Copy customs to PS3.

FINAL WORDS

I checked the clock and it took me longer to write this post than to do all of the above! :D

Clever and seasoned people might have noticed I did not mention any RAP file. That's because I didn't need to do anything at all with such a file.

I want to thank everyone who helped me understand how the PS3, RB3 and customs work. Most of all I want to thank @Alternity for inviting me into important conversations about PS3-hacking methods, and @Robebubop for actually being the first one to attempt using the HEN method and giving me plenty of hints.

Edit 14.06.2019: added step for rebooting after installation if not automatic, formatted with spoiler blocks, minor text changes

#1068 Alternity

Alternity
  • 1,036 posts

Posted June 11, 2019 - 08:22 PM

Thanks for the mention and making this tutorial available to all PS3 players. Hopefully the number of PS3 custom player grows and who knows, maybe the custom songs online activity too.

This is a good addition to the OP tutorial, though if you're going to edit the first post it might be usefull to just remove the PAL section of it and just add a little section that shows how to deal with PAL.

The only difference is the RAP file installed and the folder where you put the songs.

The rap file used is obviously the one named "pal.rap" in the c3 con tools bin/raps folder but it needs to be renamed to "EP0006-BLES00986_00-RBHMXBANDCCFF0D6.rap" as opposed to what is written for the NTSC version.

The game folder for the PAL version is "BLES00986".

That's really the only difference with the current NTSC CFW method described in the OP.

#1069 xoxidine

xoxidine
  • 7 posts

Posted June 12, 2019 - 01:53 AM

rename the HFW file to "PS3UPDAT.PUP"

The previous step did not mention extracting the "HFW_4.84.2_PS3UPDAT_03_22_2019.7z" file before renaming and instead rename the "HFW.4.84.2_PS3UPDAT>POP" file? There is a folder called "4247362b54fadd2e4d7c09007f720803". Do I disregard this folder?

#1070 Alternity

Alternity
  • 1,036 posts

Posted June 12, 2019 - 01:55 AM

Firmwares are always PUP files, so if it was in an archive you have to extract it. The important thing is having the PUP file in the right folder and rename it to PS3UPDAT.PUP on your USB drive really, the way you achieve that is not important.

Also, it seems that the folder is named after the MD5 hash, so I guess the dev just wanted you to know what the hash is with the folder name. I guess it's a good way to not loose it.

#1071 TrojanNemo

TrojanNemo

The Programmer

• 4,970 posts

Posted June 12, 2019 - 03:05 AM

Added a link to the OP directing to the new instructions back here. Thanks.

#1072 Shroud

Shroud
  • 204 posts

Posted June 12, 2019 - 03:42 AM

The previous step did not mention extracting the "HFW_4.84.2_PS3UPDAT_03_22_2019.7z" file before renaming and instead rename the "HFW.4.84.2_PS3UPDAT>POP" file? There is a folder called "4247362b54fadd2e4d7c09007f720803". Do I disregard this folder?

Thanks for noticing! I added a mention about unzipping. And yes, the archive contains only one file, and the empty folder is there only to inform you of the MD5 hash value.

Make sure you check the official HEN guide at the link in my post before doing anything to your PS3, as it has the most details about HFW and HEN (but obviously doesn't cover our specific needs for RB3 customs).

#1073 xoxidine

xoxidine
  • 7 posts

Posted June 14, 2019 - 01:56 AM

Once the webpage loaded, there was a percentage already going in the top left corner. After that finished, it installed something and my only option was "O". So I pressed it and now the screen is frozen on "Enabling HEN..."

#1074 Shroud

Shroud
  • 204 posts

Posted June 14, 2019 - 04:53 AM

Once the webpage loaded, there was a percentage already going in the top left corner. After that finished, it installed something and my only option was "O". So I pressed it and now the screen is frozen on "Enabling HEN..."

This sounds a bit weird, the installer should not have automatically enabled HEN at the end. Or do you mean it got frozen when YOU enable HEN, after installation is completed?

It is true that a few times during installation you are shown some message and you only get the option to press "O". This was not documented and puzzled me too, since normally in PS3 "O" is the default button to go back and "X" to go forward, but pressing "O" in here is the correct (and only) choice.

Did the installer reboot your PS3 automatically? I see they added a "reboot" step in the latest guide, perhaps if you enabled HEN straight after installation without any reboot it might not work. But now it should be already installed, so you can boot and enable it from the XMB.

Edit: I checked some threads at psx-place on people getting the PS3 frozen when enabling HEN, and the most common reason seems to be browser stuff getting in the way, since both HEN installation and HEN activation use the browser... so try to clear as much as you can in the browser (cachehistorycookies and so on) both before installing and before enabling HEN.

---

Another thing which is not explained in the official guide is when you need to be online and when you should rather not.

Obviously being online is needed when running the installer, and I was actually signed in to a secondary PSN account in this phase. The instructions for the older HAN method suggested not to use your real PSN account but a throwaway account, just to be safe against any chance of ban, but the official instructions for HEN do not mention this.

However I recommend that for the time being, after installing HEN you stay signed out of your PSN when emabling HEN (for example, do not setup your PS3 to sign-in automatically). Nobody has reportedly been banned from PSN for using HEN so far, but better stay safe. After all, for the purpose of RB3 customs, we really need to enable HEN only when we want to use a file manager to add/change/remove customs to the game folders, and once you've done that, you can disable HEN (at the moment there is no manual disable option, so you have to reboot to disable it) and then it should be safe to go online. But if you want to be sure, always check the recommendations at psx-place!

#1075 xoxidine

xoxidine
  • 7 posts

Posted July 6, 2019 - 10:25 PM

you'll have an icon "Enable HEN" in your XMB under Games

Finally coming back around to this.

I went back through the process of going to the website and the webpage loads now fully. It then downloads the file. The browser does not close, so I click "O" to go back. There is no "Reboot" so I "Shutdown" and turn it back on. When I do, I do not have an icon that says HEN under games.

I've done this step three times now. Each time it downloads and then does nothing. I haven't seen it try to install, and I cannot find where the file downloads.

I think it's worth nothing that when I go to do these steps again, despite having my cache and all that cleared, it remembers the URL when I start to type it in. Furthermore, I cannot see a "Downloads" section in either the browser or on the XMB. When it downloads the file again, I have the option to "Overwrite & Save" or "Do not save"/

#1076 xoxidine

xoxidine
  • 7 posts

Posted July 6, 2019 - 10:37 PM

I've pretty much verified HEN doesn't install because in the next step, "Package Installer" is not available under Games.

#1077 Shroud

Shroud
  • 204 posts

Posted July 7, 2019 - 06:32 AM

I've pretty much verified HEN doesn't install because in the next step, "Package Installer" is not available under Games.

Did you check all prerequisites?

- did you start with OFW 4.84 on your PS3?
- do you have a PSN account, and did you activate your PS3 with it?
- did you then installed HFW 4.84?

Missing one of these can prevent installation of HEN and even worse.

If you have all these, then it could still be a browser problem: try to clean everything in it (history, bookmarks, cache, everything else...). I don't know if the installer needs javascript, but I had mine enabled in the browser, so check that too.

If it still fails, then I suggest you ask for help directly in the PSX forums linked above.

#1078 Robebubop

Robebubop
  • 18 posts

Posted July 14, 2019 - 12:03 AM

How to play customs on PS3 using the HEN exploit method

DISCLAIMER AND BACKGROUND INFORMATION:

The HEN ("homebrew enabler") method was created by developers at www.psx-place.com primarily as a method to run homebrew applications on late Slim and SuperSlim PS3 consoles, which were previously considered "unhackable". Nevertheless the method presumably works on every PS3 model. I have personally used it on my FAT PS3 instead of the more common and powerful CFW ("custom firmware") method, mainly because I wanted to avoid the risk of "bricking" my PS3. Everything went smoothly for me and took less than one hour (most of which was spent watching stuff getting downloaded or installed), but I can't promise it will work for everyone! Before you attempt at doing anything hacky on your PS3, make sure you read the latest instructions at the following link, and understand the possible risks involved in using these exploits: you are the sole responsible of what happens to your own PS3.

https://www.psx-plac...ne-guide.24369/

The following instructions are based on the latest HEN version 2.2.2 at the time of this writing, but HEN is still being improved and new versions will be released afterwards. This means that some details in this post may become outdated. Always check the latest information at www.psx-place.com!

PREREQUISITES:

- You must have OFW ("original firmware") 4.84 installed to your PS3.
- You must have at least one PSN account and have your PS3 activated for it (it is also recommended to have a secondary, throwaway PSN account for this purpose)

INSTRUCTIONS (short summary):

- Install HEN.
- Copy customs to PS3.

INSTRUCTIONS (step-by-step details):

- Install HEN.

- Copy customs to PS3.

FINAL WORDS

I checked the clock and it took me longer to write this post than to do all of the above! :D

Clever and seasoned people might have noticed I did not mention any RAP file. That's because I didn't need to do anything at all with such a file.

I want to thank everyone who helped me understand how the PS3, RB3 and customs work. Most of all I want to thank @Alternity for inviting me into important conversations about PS3-hacking methods, and @Robebubop for actually being the first one to attempt using the HEN method and giving me plenty of hints.

Edit 14.06.2019: added step for rebooting after installation if not automatic, formatted with spoiler blocks, minor text changes

Wow, I'm glad all the feedback I provided you it finally paid off. I really wanted to make a tutorial back then but all the methods I tried seemed to precarious for me. Good job! Thanks for the tutorial, it's gonna come in handy for new players.

#1079 Shroud

Shroud
  • 204 posts

Posted July 14, 2019 - 12:20 PM

Wow, I'm glad all the feedback I provided you it finally paid off. I really wanted to make a tutorial back then but all the methods I tried seemed to precarious for me. Good job! Thanks for the tutorial, it's gonna come in handy for new players.

Thanks a lot to you! You were the first to try customs with HEN and gave me a lot of advice :)

#1080 Duknine2

Duknine2
  • 144 posts

Posted July 17, 2019 - 05:10 PM

Hey, can i play these custom songs on PS4?

We are on Nova Era

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users