[How-To] Playing Customs on PS3

• Please log in to reply
1010 replies to this topic

#1001 Veitli

Veitli
  • 36 posts

Posted February 18, 2017 - 03:57 AM

I've deleted almost 50 songs and the new ones haven't loaded yet.  I'm not sure how many more I need to delete if it is filezilla. 

Also, the PAL method intrigued me, but the first two file links seem to be dead.  Did they merge with other programs or are there new links I can try?

#1002 Alternity

Alternity
  • 443 posts

Posted February 18, 2017 - 05:09 AM

Well this guide is old and I don't think the guy who posted the OP is still around. I haven't read the PAL guide completely but I'm guessing it suggests to downgrade if not at 4.22 (I think?) because the tools to grab the k-license of the pack you want to use never were updated for newer firmwares. If the links are dead you can try here: http://www.brewology.com/or search on google; those tools should be easy enough to find.

Also this behavior is strange. Personally I would triple check the DTA file; or just build another one if you kept the original files for your customs.

#1003 Veitli

Veitli
  • 36 posts

Posted February 19, 2017 - 05:15 PM

Got the customs working again.  Turns out I added an extra character in the songs.dta file and it wasn't reading anything after that song. 

#1004 sampwnz

sampwnz
  • 5 posts

Posted March 14, 2017 - 09:50 AM

I'm not to sure of the configuration of customs in the BLUS30463/USDIR/HMX0756/songs folder. I have the old songs from before. I merged their information with the customs using CON Tools, as described initially. I tried placing the custom songs folders and their files in this location, but the game crashes. I've read through this thread and took out Enter Sandman as described. 

I now took out the custom song folders I added and am attempting to place in a custom pack that I built with the CON tools. There are two packs with 160 songs each. Is it supposed to be just one file that I put in the /songs folder? I have the songs.dta, the old free track pack songs, and two large files called Customs1 and Customs2. Is that how it is supposed to be set up?

#1005 Alternity

Alternity
  • 443 posts

Posted March 14, 2017 - 12:41 PM

No; the packs you are creating are for Xbox360. To create a PS3 pack use the song merger in the PS3 converter.

​Basically in the "songs" folder there should be a dta file which is combined with all the DTA from all the songs you want to use, and every single folder will contain the rest for each songs. in the "songs_upgrades" folder; the same rules apply for the DTA; but instead of a folder for each songs it's just the pro upgrade midi file.

If you want to see the PS3 structure you can download any song in the legacy database in the PS3 format and it will show you exactly how your "songs" folder should be built for one song; then test with that (Always initialize test for one song; just so you know; on PS3 we do not have the freedom to make unlimited packs like xbox... we are using the RB2 Free Pack 01 and as such we can only use that pack. Don't worry though it seems you can have more than 2000 songs in a single pack; and it saves on loading time)

Also; if you're ones of the people that has an online CFW I'd very much like to play customs online; we are 3 so far... maybe more people?

#1006 sampwnz

sampwnz
  • 5 posts

Posted March 14, 2017 - 03:53 PM

I'm currently running REX 4.81.2. I would love to play online once I get it working.

Are there known songs that cause issues? I am trying to add about 300 songs and going one by one seems tedious.

#1007 Alternity

Alternity
  • 443 posts

Posted March 14, 2017 - 03:56 PM

I suggest to try only one to be sure that the RAP file was installed properly; once you get one custom to load you are in the green. (Showing up in the list doesn't mean it loads; play the song until it ends.)

As for known issues; I've not encountered one myself but some people did in this thread... though to be honest once your customs are loading fine don't worry about it just add them all if there's an issue then pinpoint it.

And that's very cool; a full band might be possible in the future; and could very be the first ever full band session of custom songs on PS3 :D

#1008 sampwnz

sampwnz
  • 5 posts

Posted March 14, 2017 - 04:05 PM

When a song doesn't work, is there anything that can be redone to make that song work?

A full band online would be great. I play expert on all instruments. I play drums on hard on some of the more difficult songs.

#1009 Alternity

Alternity
  • 443 posts

Posted March 14, 2017 - 04:09 PM

That's a tedious subject I haven't looked much into. Some people claims some songs will have weird behavior (either just not loading; or loading indefenetly until you close the game.. stuff like that) no matter what encryption type you use; I've seen a custom song that didn't worked under type 1 encryption and did under type 3 encryption. There is probably more to it than encryption type but yeah... more study needs to be done in those special cases. In 99.9% of the cases any song converted using type 3 encryption will work; the other 0.1% I have no idea how to fix. If I ever run into a song that I really want to play and has this issue I'll try my best to get through it.

​Also; for online play we need valid a song_id for every song; but that can be edited directly from FTP so it's not a huge deal for now. (C3 CON Tools generates a valid song_id if an invalid one is found from the xbox CON; but it is a random number and we need consistency (this number is what identifies leaderboards; and all the onlines stuff))

#1010 sampwnz

sampwnz
  • 5 posts

Posted March 14, 2017 - 04:18 PM

Thank you for sticking around this thread and helping out. I have a midterm coming up Thursday, so I won't be able to get all the songs working too soon, but I have spring break in two weeks, so I know what I'll be working on!

How do I change the encryption on a song? I have not seen that tutorial through my searches.

Can I delete everything in the HMX0756/songs folder (even the Rock Band 2 Free track pack songs) and just start over, adding one by one? I kinda went crazy trying to get everything to work lol. Do the track pack songs need to be there?

#1011 Alternity

Alternity
  • 443 posts

Posted March 14, 2017 - 04:23 PM

You can delete everything; even the RB2 songs but you will lose the 8 RB2 songs unless you back them up. (Back up their DTA entries also!)

The encryption type can be selected in the PS3 converter in the options on top of the app before converting. If a song already has a PS3 version it is highly likely that this version works and therefore should download this instead of the xbox version. I assume some people still convert songs to every platform even if they don't own said platform so in theory there could be some PS3 versions that were never tested; so look out for that.

Once you get a single song working fine you can just add them in small ammounts; let's say 10 or 20; and load the game to make sure everything is fine... don't need to test them all you just want to be sure your DTA file is correct. I also suggest every time you have modified your DTA back it up in case it gets fucked up. Adding/removing songs all the time could result in a typo in the file or something else; good example is the guy that posted before you which had a foreign character and any song that was after that character was ignored.

Also I sent you a PM a while ago ;)

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)