[How-To] Playing Customs on PS3

• Please log in to reply
1014 replies to this topic

#1 TDCMark

TDCMark

PS3 Guy

• 35 posts

Posted February 5, 2014 - 11:44 PM

The time has finally come: Rock Band 3 custom songs on the PlayStation 3! Before we begin, I must point out:

YOU MUST HAVE A CUSTOM FIRMWARE (JAILBROKEN) PS3!
This is due to the fact that there is currently no way of accessing the internal PS3 file system without a jailbreak, thus no way of adding custom content. Sorry folks, them's the breaks!

-----------------------------
If you've installed a custom BEFORE MARCH 3RD, re-download and re-install, and the song will have pausing/practice mode! Alternatively, you can download the CON file and run it through the PS3 Converter.

I'm not going to cover how to jailbreak your PS3, but here's a good place to start. Firmwares: Any should work fine! If you are using the PAL section below, you will need to be on a 4.21 CFW.

Files Needed

Before we start, there are two options you can choose from. Option 1 is that you already have the Rock Band Free Pack 1 installed. If you do not have it and are afraid to go online to download it, choose Option 2.

Initial Setup: Option 1

Initial Setup: Option 2

Converting Xbox 360 songs

Merging already converted songs

Removing Custom Songs

Installing to your PS3

PAL Users

If you're from the PAL region, then you will have to find the encryption key for the pack you want to use. You must also be on a 4.21 CFW (works fine with Rebug 4.21), as Klicensee Dumper hasn't been ported to a newer firmware.

Before we begin, I must note you will be unable to use the PS3 files on the C3 Database, as those are already encrypted for NTSC users. You will have to use the CON files, and convert them yourself.

Special Thanks
-AerialX for help with the audio process.
-TrojanNemo for automating the conversion and installation process with his excellent PS3 Converter in C3 Con Tools.
-C3 and RBHP team for all your help and support.
Couldn't have done it without all these folks, so thanks again for making this project a reality :)

Edit History:

v1.1 - Added more clarity for PAL users, added new method to install customs ("Initial Setup: Option 2") if you do not have Rock Band Free Pack 01, added info about pause/practice fix.
v1.0 - Initial Release
PS3 Customs are a go!

#2 JrMan

JrMan
  • 59 posts

Posted February 7, 2014 - 03:47 PM

Nice, do the customs work online?

#3 Sideshow

Sideshow
  • 2,355 posts

Posted February 7, 2014 - 05:52 PM

I dont believe so because if you take a jailbroken PS3 online, Sony can detect you and ban your console. The same goes with a JTAG Xbox 360.

#4 TDCMark

TDCMark

PS3 Guy

• 35 posts

Posted February 7, 2014 - 07:05 PM

I dont believe so because if you take a jailbroken PS3 online, Sony can detect you and ban your console. The same goes with a JTAG Xbox 360.

This. While there are tools that can help avoid this, but it's recommended that you don't, unless you want to risk getting your console and/or PSN ID banned. I included PSNPatch (which is one of those tools), but mostly so that users can go on the SEN store. I use that to purchase my Rock Band DLC and I haven't had any problems yet.

Also, links for the database will be updated throughout the day. Hoping to get almost the whole database done today, but no promises. If you have problems with any songs (not relating to charting issues obviously), please let me know and I'll get them fixed as soon as I can.
PS3 Customs are a go!

#5 Jusey1

Jusey1
  • 658 posts

Posted February 8, 2014 - 12:43 AM

Eh. It's nice to see PS3 users getting customs but the process is just so risky and costly really... I really don't know if many PS3 players will be willing to do this kind of stuff.
~My Customs~
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1111

~My Custom Fixes and Upgrades~
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1569

#6 Nightmare Lyra

Nightmare Lyra

Ukulele Hero

• 1,957 posts

Posted February 8, 2014 - 01:51 AM

Eh. It's nice to see PS3 users getting customs but the process is just so risky and costly really... I really don't know if many PS3 players will be willing to do this kind of stuff.

Doesn't hurt giving the opportunity to those who are willing to risk it though ;)

horror_movie_special fan club member

#7 TrojanNemo

TrojanNemo

The Programmer

• 4,689 posts

Posted February 8, 2014 - 01:52 AM

This isn't "jailbreak your PS3 so you can play customs"...this is "if you already have a jailbroken PS3 then here you go, customs."
We have plenty of people on the Wii, which also has to be modded.

#8 espher

espher

Harmonies Hacker

• Administrator
  • 1,900 posts

Posted February 9, 2014 - 04:29 AM

... and?

C3 Author/Admin, Project Lead for the Rock Band: Harmonies Project

#9 Storm360

Storm360
  • 296 posts

Posted February 9, 2014 - 07:11 PM

Thanks, it's nice to see advancements like this

I'm personally gonna stick with the 360 though, even though my PS3 is my main console, I don't trust going online on my CFW, unless there is a way I can download on my OFW PS3 and transfer it?

#10 TrojanNemo

TrojanNemo

The Programmer

• 4,689 posts

Posted February 9, 2014 - 07:26 PM

If you have your equipment for the Xbox, then you should still consider, Xbox customs are always optimal quality, then they're converted, so the conversions always have some sort of loss. In the PS3 world that is your ability to pause/unpause the game.

#11 TDCMark

TDCMark

PS3 Guy

• 35 posts

Posted February 9, 2014 - 09:08 PM

I don't trust going online on my CFW, unless there is a way I can download on my OFW PS3 and transfer it?

Download official DLC? Well what I've done is either purchase it from either my OFW PS3 or from the Sony Entertainment Network website, run PSNpatch, and then log in and go to your purchase history. Then you can re-download your purchases.

Keep in mind...do this at your own risk. But I personally haven't had any problems with it.
PS3 Customs are a go!

#12 StackOverflow0x

StackOverflow0x

Wii Guy

• 1,232 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 05:45 AM

A real shame about the pausing issue. Otherwise the experience would be optimal on both those consoles.

#13 Storm360

Storm360
  • 296 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 07:59 AM

If you have your equipment for the Xbox, then you should still consider, Xbox customs are always optimal quality, then they're converted, so the conversions always have some sort of loss. In the PS3 world that is your ability to pause/unpause the game.

Yeah, I'll most likely stick with the Xbox for now, I was mostly considering this to free some room up in my set up (I have my CFW PS3, OFW PS3 and Xbox right next to eachother atm) but I don't want to log in to the CFW because I do want to keep it unbanned to some day use as a backup if anything happens to my OFW

@TDCMarc I get you, I'm paranoid about being banned though

#14 007shinobi

007shinobi
  • 9 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 07:37 PM

Sorry if this has been answered already but does converting packs on ps3 converter work? It seems to convert only one song. Wasn't sure if I had to do one song at a time or this was a bug.

#15 TrojanNemo

TrojanNemo

The Programmer

• 4,689 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 07:38 PM

It's only going to work one song at a time. If you have a pack, use Quick Pack Editor to dePACK the files and separate them into single files, then throw them at the converter. It can do batch conversions, just not of packs.

#16 007shinobi

007shinobi
  • 9 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 10:26 PM

Never mind I see what the advanced users section was meant for now. Can anyone download the free pack 01 and upload it?

#17 TrojanNemo

TrojanNemo

The Programmer

• 4,689 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 11:17 PM

The link to download directly from Sony is on the OP, under Files Needed. We do not want people sharing official content on here.

#18 TDCMark

TDCMark

PS3 Guy

• 35 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 10:41 PM

Some news, both of the good and bad variety. Let's start with the good...

We may have figured out a way to get the audio working properly! That means we can have proper previews (that don't just start at the beginning), proper pausing, and practice mode. So stay tuned for more info on that.

The bad news: My PS3 just received the Yellow Light of Death. Attempting to fix it right now, but as I've read, there's no permanent fix for the YLOD...so the fix listed above may take a little while to be released.
PS3 Customs are a go!

#19 themishman

themishman
  • 2 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 02:59 PM

ok, i know it is snowing out...and my coffee hasn't kicked in....BUT...

"/dev_hdd0/game/BLUS30463/USRDIR/HMX0756/songs/" i don't have an hmx0756 nor a songs folder

i just have /dev_hdd0/game/blus3063/usrdir/gen and like 2 files underneath.....

any idea what i did wrong....never had the game before, loaded it up and had it copy its files over....

any help will be appreciated.

#20 TDCMark

TDCMark

PS3 Guy

• 35 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 08:39 PM

Looks like you don't have the Rock Band Free Pack 1 installed. You must have that installed first, otherwise this won't work.

Also once you've installed that, you'll have to go back to the initial setup section, as you're missing the songs.dta file that you find in the Rock Band Free Pack 1.
PS3 Customs are a go!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users