Sideshow's Customs (1/10/17) 10 pack of proggy drum customs!

• Please log in to reply
1637 replies to this topic

#1 Sideshow

Sideshow
  • 2,270 posts

Posted February 4, 2014 - 02:43 PM

All my customs and converts can be found in the link below. Keep in mind as your browsing through the many pages of this thread. If you come to a dead link, chances are there is a newer version of the song later in the thread.

LIZARD (1970)

ISLANDS (1971)

LARKS TONGUES IN ASPIC (1973)

STARLESS AND BIBLE BLACK (1973)

RED (1974)

DISCIPLINE (1981)

BEAT (1982)

Led Zeppelin

I (1969)

II (1969)

III (1970)

IV (1971)

Houses of the Holy (1973)

Physical Graffiti (1975)

Presence (1976)

Coda (1982)

LIVE-How the West Was Won (1972)

Metal

Miscellaneous

Opeth

#2 Sideshow

Sideshow
  • 2,270 posts

Posted February 4, 2014 - 03:00 PM

Pink Floyd

Porcupine Tree

Prog

Protomen

PUNK

Rap

ROCK

Rush

YES

ZZ Top

#3 Nightmare Lyra

Nightmare Lyra

Ukulele Hero

• 1,957 posts

Posted February 4, 2014 - 03:01 PM

Some quick notes from watching the preview video:

-Drums really needs 1x and 2x pedal versions I would say, those pedals in the intro seem way to fast for one foot

-Guitar should avoid 3 note chords for the most part, you need a 16th of space between the end of sustains and the next note. The riffs at 1:07 and such sounds like they go R-Y-Y rather than Y-R-G, and they sound like they should be chords, so be sure to look over all similar sounding riffs too. The solo seem very undercharted, so try and rechart it in the same vein as 1:07.

-Be sure to read up on Vocal charting rules in the docs. "Laughter", "Thunder", etc. should be charted as two notes instead of one (and the second note sounds like it is a different pitch). Notes should never be so close they touch each other, you want about a 32th of space between notes in most cases. Be sure to not have a note tube charted during S, H and F sounds (and other such breathy sounds) as the mic don't pick those up very well.

horror_movie_special fan club member

#4 Sideshow

Sideshow
  • 2,270 posts

Posted February 4, 2014 - 07:02 PM

Thank you very much for the feedback. Will make necessary changes.

#5 Nightmare Lyra

Nightmare Lyra

Ukulele Hero

• 1,957 posts

Posted February 4, 2014 - 07:08 PM

No problem, I would have gone more in-depth but I am kinda sick and don't feel like going in-depth about anything at the moment. Best of wishes with the authoring!

Oh I forgot to mention, but the cymbal swell at the end sounds like it might just be a single crash (if not I recommend putting it all on Green cymbal as one lane for playability), and during the G/Y chord chugging on guitar I think you should chart the lead guitar instead of the chords whenever it enters, jumping back and forth between rhythm and lead as necessary.

#6 Sideshow

Sideshow
  • 2,270 posts

Posted February 4, 2014 - 07:38 PM

I should of avoided those 3 note chords. People do hate those for the most part. That makes sense to leave a 1/16 space between sustained chords so the player doesnt see the sustain tails during gameplay. Good call on changing the yellow+green cymbal swell to just green. I completely forgot to make the hyphenated words separate note tubes. Guitar is going to be the most difficult for me to chart but this song isnt that complicated at all on guitar so I should be able to make it presentable.

As far as making 1X and 2X versions of the song. Do I have to make 2 different Reaper projects of the same song. One having 2X bass drum kick notes and the other having single note kicks?

#7 Nightmare Lyra

Nightmare Lyra

Ukulele Hero

• 1,957 posts

Posted February 4, 2014 - 07:58 PM

Thankfully you don't even need separate MIDI files anymore for 2x Pedal versions if you have the newest version of Magma C3. Just duplicate your drumtrack in project, name the 2x Pedal one as "PART DRUMS_2X", do the changes necessary and it should create two CON files once you compile it all in Magma.

And yep I am sure the chart will be excellent with some practice and care :)

#8 Sideshow

Sideshow
  • 2,270 posts

Posted February 4, 2014 - 08:55 PM

Oh thats right, now I remember Nemo added 2X bass support to Magma last year. I should have Sounds of Laughter all cleaned up with new links in a day or so. After that I will be doing a video game related custom based off a Turbo Grafx 16 CD game.

#9 grep

grep
  • 29 posts

Posted February 5, 2014 - 12:34 AM

I love that album and will be downloading this song to check it out very soon. Thank you for picking TSOL!

please Please PLEASE tackle Code Blue next after you're done tweaking this one. :)

#10 Sideshow

Sideshow
  • 2,270 posts

Posted February 5, 2014 - 01:54 AM

I love that album and will be downloading this song to check it out very soon. Thank you for picking TSOL!

please Please PLEASE tackle Code Blue next after you're done tweaking this one. :)

I agree. May eventually do a 3 pack. Code Blue and Silent Scream are a must off of this album.

#11 KyleJCrb

KyleJCrb
  • 116 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 07:30 PM

Really cool to see some love for Lords of Thunder! I hope Dezant from that game would be a possibility at some point. :)

#12 Sideshow

Sideshow
  • 2,270 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 07:34 PM

Glad to know somebody else remembers Lords of Thunder. I may do some more Lords in the future but I do want to jump around artist for the time being.

#13 Sideshow

Sideshow
  • 2,270 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 01:48 AM

Updated the OP with a drums only version of Pee In The Shower. Just had to upload something today even though its not full band. I hope to finish it sometime this weekend. Have a happy Valentines Day!

UPDATE: Ok, the full band is up minus harmonies. I'm really happy with how this turned out. :D

#14 Sideshow

Sideshow
  • 2,270 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 06:31 AM

Updated the OP with Limahl "The Never Ending Story". If you grew up in the 80's this will be a no brainer. Fun duet party song. ;)

#15 TrojanNemo

TrojanNemo

The Programmer

• 4,611 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 02:26 PM

That brings back so many memories.
From watching your video i can tell vocal tubes are too long, you're not supposed to have commas in the lyrics and neverending should be four syllables not one whole world.
Can't say anything about whether your pitching is good since I'm horrible at that. Maybe someone else will chime in. Would love to see that song cleaned up nicely.

#16 Farottone

Farottone

The Lean Mean Customs Charting Machine

• Administrator
  • 5,665 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 02:50 PM

Congrats on your new endeavour! One more comment on Neverending Story is that I'm afraid it's actually too easy. :) There's a synth that essentially carries the main theme of the song that's been left out. I realise it's probably a nightmare to chart, but it's also an essential part of the song. ;)

#17 Sideshow

Sideshow
  • 2,270 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 07:27 PM

I realize I made the vocal tubes too long and the crazy synth part that I didnt chart just seemed way to difficult to chart.

On the chorus should I have moved the female vocals up a little bit higher? They are singing the exact same lyrics but I wasnt sure how many pitches to move it up.

#18 Nyxyxylyth

Nyxyxylyth

Magnificent Bastard

• Administrator
  • 1,372 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 09:31 PM

On the chorus should I have moved the female vocals up a little bit higher? They are singing the exact same lyrics but I wasnt sure how many pitches to move it up.

Boy is that a red flag. I'd better have a look...

#19 raynebc

raynebc
  • 200 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 10:01 PM

"Never ending story" is a great choice.

#20 WolfgangJT

WolfgangJT
  • 136 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 10:15 PM

Oh my....never saw that one coming. Might have to grab that just to remember being a kid again (and see if my kids remember the song from when I showed them the movie about a year ago)

5 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1), Sideshow, Bing (1)